The Race

Hi everyone,

This chapter is a bit longer than the others. Hope you enjoy.

Xx

After spending weeks in America, my fiance, returned to England. Unexpectedly, he appeared at my family home and dragged me to his estate on the outskirts of Manchester. It was a lovely home, no doubt, but the man occupying it was a monster.

"Adeline, why aren't you wearing any of the costly dresses I bought for you? How can I be seen with you when you're practically wearing rags, my dear?" Charles scoffed in disgust. I was wearing the dress Thomas sent me for my birthday and to me, it was nicer than any of the overpriced dresses Charles bought for me in France or America.

"Charles, the dresses you give me don't suit Birmingham. I think you forget that we come from different social classes," I responded, opening another box he brought from his trip. Ever since he met me, Charles showered me with items I didn't want or need. He was attempting to buy my love, but he would never be successful.

"I want you to wear the dress I bought you to the horse race tomorrow." Charles grinned as we shared a cup of tea in the sitting room of his grand home. It was evident that he was born into wealth, but I was encountering many difficulties adapting to his luxurious lifestyle.

"My dear, we'll pick you up in the morning," Charles whispered, planting a soft kiss on my cheek. I wondered about the man I would marry. He was occupied with his business, playing polo, and travelling. I hardly knew him. It was enough for him that I had a pretty face and an ideal figure, as he called it. I would be his arm candy, and that's all that mattered to him.

~~~

Before voyaging to the horseraces, I slipped on the dress Mr. Shelby gave to me. I felt like a goddess and it would serve as a message to Charles. As much as I dreaded being Charles's trophy for a day, I was eager to watch the races and enjoy the sweet sun!

"My darling, is that what you're wearing?" Charles groaned, greeting me with contempt. It was not the welcome I expected from my future husband, but I brushed it off and listened to him ramble about his polo game. I was to sit like a lady and have my ear talked off.

Charles and I prowled the grounds of the racetrack, where he couldn't have been prouder to call me his fiancee. I hated being surrounded by the stiff, upper-class. I wasn't aware of their mannerisms and I spoke differently. The men didn't care, but their wives gave me dirty glares. I felt like an object, and it made my stomach turn.

Inside the gorgeous betting den, Charles placed a few bets. Free from his grasp, I took in all the top hats and feathers around me. It was different from the peaked caps and dusty shoes of Birmingham. I knew my people were betting outside, separated from the wealthy.

"Come here!" Charles shouted through a whisper as he pulled me towards him. He treated me like a child. I had to stay within his arm's reach.

To briefly escape again, I made my way to the lavatory, where I peeked outdoors. While watching everyone find their seats, a familiar face in the distance caught my eye.

"Thomas Shelby," I whispered under my breath, surprised to see him walking the grounds of the racetrack. I tried to stare at him for as long as I could, but a group of men encircled him, blocking my view. I longed to see his chiselled cheekbones and plump lips once more, so when Charles and I made our way to the stands, I scanned the seats, hoping to find Mr. Shelby.

"You know, my darling, I think we should get married in December. Don't you think a winter wedding would be marvellous?" Charles dropped a bomb on me. Not only did I avoid wedding planning, but I avoided wedding talk. It caused me to grow nauseous. December was a few months away. There was no way I was marrying him that soon.