𝐭𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞

am proud to say that i will finally know what i'm writing abt during smut scenes if you know what i mean

anyways have fun with this chapters besties i literally hate it

but IN MY DEFENSE i know where this story is going i just gotta press the gas pedal and speedrun this bitch

"have you ever been in love?"

the "read" note had barely just appeared before her phone lit up with that stupid contact picture of number boy's name. she sighed, and slid her finger across the answer button.

"where is that coming from?" he asked.

she rolled over onto her stomach and buried her face in her stomach. "i dunno." she rested her chin and stared at the wall to her right.

"how was the date?"

"it was....odd" her cheeks heated just thinking about it.

"do you... do you think you're in love with him?" he asked carefully. "is that why you asked me if i've ever been in love?"

she chewed her lip, pulling the covers over herself. "i don't know," she whispered. "rowan is... i really like him, i do. but i don't think i'm the one for him. and now, it just feels weird."

"what do you mean?"

"like it's not at all what i expected."

he hummed. "is it better or worse?"

she scoffed. "worse. a lot worse. but...i don't know. it feels like i can't drop him because i see him at work every week, and my sister really liked him i think."

"will your sister be upset if you break up with him?"

she snickered, but buried her face in the pillows. "probably not. she'd probably snatch him up the second i cut him off."

"so..." clay trailed off, his typing slowing. "you're...not in love with him? or are you?"

"clay, i don't KNOW."

"liar." his voice was smooth and calm, but there was an edge to it. "come on, iris. i listened to you fan girl over him for weeks and after one date you're turning around and saying—"

"fangirl?" she repeated.

"yeah," he said carefully. "like... you're obsessed with him."

she blinked, sitting up in bed. "i'm not obsessed with—" she cocked her head to the side, eyes trailing off as she considered it. eighty percent of her conversations and thoughts had to do with rowan. but she wasn't obsessed with him, right? "well, okay. even if i was—is that love?"

"iris, i don't think you know what love is."

that struck a chord within her. "excuse me?"

his voice hardened. "come on, look at what you just said. asking me all these questions—a day after WE went on a date, might i add—as if you don't have a clue in the world about what it means to be in love."

"okay, buddy. lets backtrack."

"no, let's not," he snapped back. "sap said something very interesting to me when i told him you were finally going out with rowan."

"so we're bringing sap into this now?"

he sighed, and it sounded like he ran his hands down his face in anguish. "no, listen to me. he looked so torn when i told him, and you know what he told me?"

"enlighten me."

"he said 'it sounds like she can't pick a side.'"

she straightened. "what?"