Chapter Seventeen - Fault

I was pacing the hotel room, Dad had put me in and demanded that i not leave until told to do so. I spent most of the time trying to get through to Clark.

"Clark it's me again, I need you..." I stopped short noticing him on my balcony. I ended the call and opened up the doors and he stood stoically.

"I didn't see it Ari. I was standing right there and I didn't see it ." he stated slowly turning his head to me.

"It's not your fault, there is someone behind this." I take his hand in mine

"I'm afraid I didn't see it because i wasn't looking." he paused "All this time, I've been living my life the way my father saw it. Righting wrongs, for a ghost. Thinking i'm here to do good. Superman was never real. Just a dream of a farmer from Kansas." I made him turn to me fully

"That farmers dream is all some people have. It gives them hope." I rested my hand on his family crest "The is something, the symbol you wear and the good you do."

"It did on my world. My world doesn't exist anymore ." He stood back and flew off leaving a sonic boom in his wake. I sighed and covered my face in despair.

-------

I was back at work and Clark was M.I.A. Which mean Superman was too that caused even more controversy and bull shit in the news. I sat it my desk twirling a pencil around absently.

"No Clark again?" I brief acknowledge Perry's entrance.

"Nope." I answer. I look at the picture of us two. The slam my hand out on the table and walk out and up to the roof. Bad habit I rarely did and wasn't proud of was smoke. I had done it enough not to choke but not often to do it all the time. I lit one up and took out a drag.

"So, that happened." I heard Lois behind me

"What happened?" I ask as she sits down next to me "Why are you here and not swiping at the chance to take the baton while I'm out of the game?"

"Oh please, I may not be friends with you or like you that much but I respect you enough not to do that. One thing that makes us different from most other competitors, is that when we fight it's fair, even if we get carried away." she shrugged. There was a moment of silence as I went to take another inhale of smoke.

"So your boyfriend is Superman." I started coughing and she tapped my back

"What?"

"Clark is Superman." she repeated "Superman is Clark Kent. They are one in the same." she went on.

"Okay you are officially crazy and have gone off the deep end." I stumped out my cigarette and went to leave.

"I know i'm right, Aria." I stopped and turned back "I'm a reporter just like you are and I have well trained eyes. i could go on about my research but that was only the half and unimportant part of it. The important part is you, the both of you. How no one else has seen it is beyond me." she walked closer

"And what have you supposedly scene. Lane?" I folded my arms

"Well there is the fact that you love Kent, but you kissed Superman first. And that was a actual full on lovers kiss. I know one when I see it. Then there is the fact you never see them both at the same time, your exclusives but Clark never mentions about him meeting superman, when you two live together. Then the fact that not even you can be that lucky to have a  two guys who is not related to you be that protective over you. And last but not least. Both Clark and Superman are missing at the same time. So the answer is, they're the same person.". I didn't answer.

"I did my research, before the battle of Metropolis he was a guardian angel and a ghost at the same time, i trace him all the way back to Smallville like you did, though I didn't feel the need to talk to mrs Kent." she paused "I'm not going to tell anyone if that's what you're scared about. I'm actually rooting for him and I don't believe what their accusing him of. But he will need to face the music some time and when he does. He's gonna need you more than ever." she tapped my shoulder and went back to work.

That night I made my way into the subway to take the trip back home. As i came down there was a janitor buffering the floors. He looked familiar, weirdly familiar.

"Excuse me, sir." The man turned to fully face my I gasped it was one of the contacted thugs from the Sahara. I backed away but felt another body grab ahold of me and i struggled as I was kidnapped.