Chapter Twenty Three - Hope

I woke up in the middle of the night, really needing to pee. Going to the bathroom and then returning to sit on my side of the bed, I started at the picture of Clark and I. Sitting here for months was what I needed to do. But Martha was right, I needed to come back to the land of the living. Pulling the draw open I found my press pass hidden under the extras of sonograms. I stared at it for a moment before dropping it down and going to get ready.

I reached the coffee shop just as it was opening up and ordered the usual, then made my way to the memorial. Where Jerry was right on schedule.

"Miss Astrid, didn't think you were gonna be here today?" he joked as i handed him his coffee.

"One more time." I smile then made my way to the barrier and stared at the memorial. We needed to keep on going, for him. I closed my eyes for a moment imagining him there and then walked away. Just as I was crossing the road about a mile away from the memorial there was a whoosh of light in the sky. Turning sharply I watched as it came from the discretion of star labs and it lasted about a minute then disappeared. And there it was, what was left in it's place.

"It can't be." I whispered seeing the figure over in the sky. To any average person it could be another superhero declaring himself. But I knew better, that was the impossible. That was Clark. I didn't question anything else as i started making my way back. I would have run but felt like I was carrying a waterbed up my dress. Clark fell down towards the memorial and then barely minutes later there was an explosion followed by smoke. That was never a good thing.

I reached the memorial park in the middle of a fight. A fight between Clark and Bruce and Clark was winning.

"Ma'am you can't go through." i shoved the officer away and went past them.

"Clark!" I called as he tried to laser eyes Bruce. "Clark!" I called again and he stopped staring down at me. I dropped my bag and stepped in-between Clark and Bruce.

"Clark." I breathed heavily "Please..." I held out my hand to him and lowered himself down holding his hand out and eventually taking it. Our hands intertwined as I stepped closer, slipping my hand up his cheek then down around his neck embracing him. Then I let go of our intertwined hands and slipped it around his waist. He lowered his head down accepting me.

"Let's go." I whisper wanting him safe "Just go." he inhaled deeply then the two of us host up in the air and away.

---------

My feet landed softly on the ground and Opened my eyes looking around. He had brought us back to Kansas, to the farm. He brought us home.

"You brought us here." I turned back to him "You remembered." i ran my knuckles across his cheek

"Movies tell us that the returned, forget who they are. But you brought us here." He held my hand to his cheek for a moment, then looked away.

"This is home."

"You speak." i laughed a little, still in shock that he was really back. A little amnesia but enough to trust me and bring me here.

"Did i not before?" he wondered. I didn't answer but lead him over and back into his home. There were still boxes here, stuff I'm guessing that Martha couldn't bare taking or that she couldn't fit into the moving truck. Either way I broke apart to go searching them. Most were miscellaneous but I did find a box of clothing and a shirt for Clark. He looked out of the window onto the foreclosed farm.

"Your mother fell behind on the payments. She never told anyone." I told him heading back over to stand next to him.

"I don't understand." he replied

"She's a proud woman Clark." he nodded beginning to understand. "Here" i helped him put his shirt on and he buttoned it up.

"She loved it here." he remembered "So did I. " he glanced over in happiness. We stated down at the swing that we used to play on as children.

-

Breaking off to go to the toilet yet again and then making a call to Martha to come here, that she needed to see someone. When i came back out i saw that Clark was in the middle of the field so that's where I went. I stood a few feet from him not saying anything.

"I take that as a yes then." he stated

"What?"

"The ring." I lift my hand up to stare down at it for a moment then back to him as the sun set.

"You're really back." i watched as a butterfly flew down and played between his fingers ad I approached, taking his hand again. He glanced down.

"What?" he touched my stomach "How? How long have I been gone?" he inquired glancing between me and his daughter that grew inside me.

"Three months." I answered "Turns out I was already pregnant. Thanks for that by the way. A little warning would have been nice." I shoved him playfully. a big smile crossed his face as he kissed me. I had missed his kisses, I doubt anything could match that. He pulled away. He stared down once more.

"A girl." he declared

"Hey, I wanted to tell you." I pouted slightly "Party pooper." he laughed but then calmed taking my cheek in his hand.

"I've been given a second chance Ari. I'm not gonna waste it." He kissed me again and then brought me into a hug. We heard the sound of an engine and i pulled away. Martha drove like hell and screeched to a halt. She got out of her truck and made her way over to us. Clark left my side to meet her and embrace her. I held my hands to my face in happiness then made my way over. She held out her hand and Clark moved so that he could hug us both.

"Listen Ma." He pulled away "They wanted me back for a reason and I need to find out why." he tells her. As much as it hurt, i kind of figured that was the case. As much as i didn't want to let him go as soon as he came back. Clearly the world needed saving and there was none better than him. He hugged us once more and then the two of us stepped away holding hands. Clark shot up in the air, leaving.

"I can't believe he's back." martha breathed

"I can." my voice broke as i welled up in happiness. I rested a hand on my stomach no longer feeling lost in the world and now even more happy that she was coming.