TWENTY TWO

❝ ʟᴏᴠᴇ ❞

ʟᴏᴠᴇ

Seowoo likes to think that she and Jungkook have officially regressed into what she calls a 'less than friends' relationship. She believes that if they do not talk or meet as much as they used to, then they are truly no longer the friends they once were.

She still cares for the younger a whole lot — perhaps even more than she should for a mere friend. She knows, and maybe that's one of the factors as to why she refuses to meet him as often after his pseudo confession at the cafe months ago.

She has been at ease for the past few weeks with little to no interaction with the idol. Her heart always beats faster every time he inches closer and she always lets out the heaviest sighs of relief after each passing moment.

But none of those little happenings could match up to the crisis she is facing now.

Jungkook gracefully and charismatically moves like a professional, changing poses with every click of the camera. His gaze is strong and intimidating, until he locks eyes with Seowoo standing in the corner of the brightly lit room.

The cameraman snaps his fingers, calling for Jungkook to focus on his job. The idol sheepishly apologises and tries to regain his composure, not before taking one last glance at Seowoo just to make sure his mind isn't just playing with him.

          Seowoo clutches Taehyung's arm, which surprises the model. She turns to him and says through gritted teeth, "you didn't tell me Jungkook was going to be here."

          Taehyung pauses for a bit and then mumbles, "...no comment."

          "You-"

          "Noona!" Jungkook squeals, his bright tone completely contrasting the coolly intimidating look he's donning for the 'bad boy' themed photoshoot.

The staff around him swoon at his change in demeanour, while muttering words of criticism at Seowoo under their breaths.

It's inevitable, Seowoo thinks. Not everyone, especially in South Korea, would accept her for how she looks and presents herself on the outside.

The only thing keeping the staff from exposing her identity, no matter how much they despise her, is the hefty salaries each of them are receiving from the company.

          "Jungkook-ah," Seowoo uncomfortably breathes out, unsure if she should warmly greet him or make a run for it.

           The idol startles, taken aback by the lack of endearing name-calling from the older. "You don't seem very happy to see me," he blandly voices out.

          "That's not it!" Seowoo quickly responds, "it's just gotten a little awkward between us... From my end, at least."

          Taehyung stands weirdly between the two, shifting from one leg to the other in discomfort. "I, uh, I gotta go take my solo shots," he breaks the tense silence, "if that's okay with you two..."

          Seowoo gulps, straightens her back and says, "yeah. No worries. Go ahead."

          That's how she and Jungkook end up sitting silently across each other in the lounge room of her company's building.

Jungkook attempts to break through the pregnant silence by asking, "have you eaten?".

Before the backstage singer could respond, her stomach replies for her by growling at an embarrassingly loud volume. Seowoo ducks her head in shame and tries to hide her flushed face behind her hands.

"Again?" Jungkook angrily hisses, "this is your third time skipping meals this week. Can't you take care of yourself and stop making people worry about you?"

Seowoo scrunches her face in frustration, "it's my body, not yours. And how do you know it's my third time this week if you've only seen me for the first time today? Have you been spying on me?"

Jungkook is at a loss for words and stays speechless as the latter continues disagreeing with his behaviour.

"Just let me be happy!" Seowoo finally yells, chest heaving at a rapid pace.

"We've known each other for months, noona," Jungkook huffs, crossing his arms, "I know you well enough to understand that you're forcing yourself to believe that fine-tuning yourself into the version of you that everyone else wants to see will make you happy. By the end of it all, you'll probably still feel the same way, if not worse, about yourself, because you will never be satisfied with who you are."

Seowoo sees her reflection as she stares into Jungkook's eyes. Her signature chubby cheeks have lost their bounciness and her soft double chin has almost, if not completely receded. She then glances at the rest of her body. While it is still pudgy, she knows that she has shed quite a bit, leaving her with visible curves and a noticeably cinched waistline.

          "Why do you think that you know me better than I do?" She asks in a hushed tone.

          "Because I love you," Jungkook confesses.

          Seowoo gulps and pauses as though she and everything around her is frozen in time.

          "I know this isn't the best time and place for me to admit such things," the idol mumbles, "but it is exactly because I love you, that I have taken the time to truly understand you."

          Jungkook sighs and shakes his head, and as he stands up from his seat, he says, "forget it. I have to get back to work."

         Seowoo watches as Jungkook trudges towards the door before she hesitates, "I-"

          "I love you too."

•••

ilyt jk hehe <3