TWENTY NINE

❝ ᴡʀᴏɴɢ ❞

ᴡʀᴏɴɢ

Seowoo is already down and discouraged, and to make matters worse, she unfortunately bumps into Seokjin way too many times.

She could be making her way to the toilets and he would easily walk past her without a care, or she could be taking a stroll along the indoor garden and he would be there as well. It is as though he has something to say to her, but Seowoo thinks it could just be her wild imagination.

Things are awkward between them and it has been a major concern in Seowoo's life, because his sudden transition from being a close friend to a complete nobody is difficult to accept.

She gets attached too easily and disappointed just as quickly — that is her problem.

"Noona!" Jungkook chirps excitedly, "don't you think I looked so cool when I did that move?".

Seowoo smiles adoringly at him, "duh! You look cool doing anything!".

          Jungkook, being a sucker for compliments, soaks up the wonderful praise. His ears and cheeks pick up on shades of red, which makes the backstage singer coo.

          Just as she had gotten the thought of her lost opportunity out of sight and out of mind, a staff member barges into the room, calling for her to join everyone else in an urgent meeting.

          Her face turns bitter and Jungkook is sad that he cannot do anything more.

           Seowoo ponders life as she makes her way to the meeting room, staring blankly into space while her head screams negativity.

           She screeches to a halt as she is about to turn a corner, coming face-to-face with Kim Seokjin. His eyes widen slightly and Seowoo catches it, realising this tiny shift in expression is the most reaction she has gotten from him in so long.

           Needing to gather in the same meeting room, they are forced to walk alongside each other.

           "I know you're not my trainer anymore, but I'd like to thank you for helping me up until then," Seowoo begins, trying to break the thick wall of ice between them.

           "I'm just doing my job," Seokjin mutters.

           "I think I sounded pretty good in my debut song," Seowoo continues, not wanting to end the conversation on an awkward note. "Too bad I couldn't actually debut," she jokingly adds.

           "Yeah, you were great," Seokjin nonchalantly replies and the backstage singer is taken aback by his lack of reaction to her misfortune.

"Ugh, finally," a staff member loudly groans when he spots us from afar, "please join us immediately!".

          "I am terribly disappointed in every single one of you!" The chairman screams and shouts at his underlings, who can only wince when his high-pitched voice irritates their ears and instinctively duck their head down in shame.

           At this point, Seowoo wasn't sure why the chairman was raging this badly. He had never cared even an ounce for her, nor did this unfortunate event somehow tarnish his reputation... Or did it?

           "You better own up right now!" He angrily growls, "you know what you did, you lowly snitch. Everything was under control until you leaked insider information to the public.".

          A staff member had posted the detailed happenings online, backed with photos and voice recordings as evidence. They claimed they wanted to bring justice to Seowoo as the true angelic voice people assumed was Yoomi's.

           The post blew up in minutes, as the hashtags coincided with fan votings for Yoomi's latest song to make it big at the Billboard Music Awards.

           Netizens ran to the comment section, some accusing the original poster of spreading false information while the rest threw support at Seowoo and doused hate on Yoomi.

           Believers wondered why the company allowed such a thing and felt that they were lied to. Those who always thought Yoomi was pure and incapable of hurting even a blade of grass are now tearing up her posters and burning her albums. Companies with her as their advocate were quick to recall their promoted products and cover photos to avoid losing customers.

          Seowoo could see Yoomi sobbing away in the corner. She knows the idol now realises the gravity of the situation and in the heat of the moment, she chooses to blame everyone but herself.

"It's all your fault!" Yoomi screams, pointing fingers at Seowoo and the chairman can only watch and groan in disbelief.

The chairman stands abruptly, which sends his chair flying back, "shut up! You have no right to blame others when you're the underlying cause of the mess. You'll have to face major consequences and in no way will I even try to alleviate them.".

           "It's not like I leaked confidential information," she cries out, desperately trying to save herself.

           The CEO steps in, "but you still made a grave mistake by getting in the way of Seowoo's debut. She worked ten times as hard as you, over countless months, and you let it go down the drain in just a matter of seconds.".

           "She can still debut! Just not today- Not until I've come to accept that this is the end of my life...".

          She storms out of the room as soon as she's done giving a piece of her mind. The rest of the crowd stand still, glancing awkwardly at one another, trying to urge someone to break the silence.

           "I did it.".

          Everyone turns to Seokjin.

           "I told the public what happened," he simply says, with absolutely no hint of regret in his tone or his expression.

           When he sees the chairman open his mouth, he promptly continues, "I don't care what you do to me. Kick me out or write terrible things about me all you want. Who's gonna believe you now?".

           At that, the chairman zips his lips and calls the meeting off.

           While the group disperses, Seowoo's eyes catch onto Seokjin's over the sea of moving heads. She slowly makes her way towards him and when he asks why he did what he did, he can only sigh and say, "I realised I was wrong for forcing my opinions on you when you didn't need to hear them... I've been wanting to make it up to you, but there was never a right time for that, until now.".

           "Thank you," Seowoo sniffles, flashing a smile that puts Seokjin at ease.