ELEVEN

❝ ᴄᴏғғᴇᴇ ❞

ᴄᴏғғᴇᴇ

          "Noona," Jungkook singsongs, blinding the older with his bright smile.

          Seowoo hums in acknowledgment, pushing him to continue his sentence.

          "Well, it's your break now," the idol cutely says with his lips jutting out, "so I was wondering if you'd like to have coffee with me." He bounces on the balls of his feet, swaying back and forth as he awaits an answer.

          The backstage singer turns to him with a cocked eyebrow. She doesn't say anything — can't say anything. With expert movements, she bends the microphone back to loosen the stand's screwed joints and pushes it down such that it shrinks to its original height. She takes a deep breath, rethinking the younger's request.

          "Have you asked your manager for permission?" She warily asks.

          "Sejin hyung says I can do whatever I want."

          She sighs but eventually falls for the gleam in his eyes. "Are you sure you want to, though?" She clicks her tongue, "the industry doesn't need you making anymore rash decisions."

          Determined to reenergise the older by having caffeine run through her system, he nods.

•••

          "Thank you," Seowoo coos when Jungkook returns with their orders. She curiously blinks when she notices the younger's drink isn't as opaque as hers.

          As if he could read her mind, he chuckles, "I don't like coffee so I ordered iced tea." "What about you?" He asks, "why'd you get black coffee?"

Seowoo pauses in the midst of her first sip. She gulps down what she managed to drink and looks up at him, glasses sliding down her nose bridge. "I read somewhere that diets are more effective with black coffee," she says, "apparently it boosts metabolism and fat burning."

His reaction makes her feel ashamed of herself, makes her duck her head and want to hide under the table. He shuts his eyes in frustration, "why would you do that?"

"Because I'm-"

"You're not!" He cuts her off, flaunting his most intimidating look, which is just furrowed eyebrows paired with an angry pout.

"I am, okay? I'm nowhere close to having the golden ratio. People look at me with disgust in their eyes. I get judged almost every second- Heck, even the barista is eyeing me in horror!"

Jungkook huffs, seemingly pissed, "so what if you are, huh? So what if they see you in a horrible light? That doesn't change the fact that there are people who care about you, who see you differently, whose hearts ache when you degrade yourself."

"To me, you're- you're the most wonderful being ever," he emphasises. "You enraptured me with just your voice. I didn't need my eyes to like you."

He was so into the moment that he didn't realise he was dangerously looming over the backstage singer, chest heaving as he tries to catch his breath. His chair had toppled back from how harshly he kicked it away.

Seowoo has tears in her eyes that threaten to roll down the sweet apples of her flushed cheeks. She's had the exact same talk with Yoomi and Jimin multiple times before but this time is different. She's being confronted by Jungkook, someone she never expected would even think or speak of her.

Then they hear it — the sound of an accidental flash of a phone camera.

•••

"Today's buzz — Singer-songwriter Jeon Jungkook
just had his first ever dating scandal yet it strays far
from netizens' expectations. The worldwide icon was seen hitting it up with a girl at a café. The witness, a passerby who wishes to stay anonymous, shared a picture along with a detailed description of the scene."

"I always pass by OO café on my way home.
It's a humble one that's naturally shadowed by
the bustling city so it was surprising to see two
figures through the glass window. Jungkook
oppa has an interesting physique so it was easy
to recognise him but the girl he was with, I didn't.
Oppa suddenly stood so I moved closer to take
a look. I couldn't tell what he was doing but he
looked angry, as if he was quarrelling with her. I
quickly snapped a picture out of habit but my
flash was on and they noticed. That's when I
saw her and she was definitely an unpleasant
sight."

"This garnered rather similar reactions from
netizens."

"Fuck... She's so ugly..."

"I thought I was ugly but looking at her,
I suddenly feel pretty."

"Why did OP not think of checking if her
flash was on before taking the picture??"

"If that kind of bitch is what oppa's into
then I guess he would love me too."

"Guys, she could just be his manager or
coordi noona. She looks like someone who
would easily fuck things up so he's probably
flipping her off for making a mistake or
something..."

"Fans are raging and demanding an explanation.
The idol himself, however, seems to be avoiding
all social media platforms — his last online
presence being hours before the incident.
Meanwhile, BigHit Entertainment has yet to
release an official statement, whereby they deny
or acknowledge the dating rumour the icon has
involved himself in."

———

oof