34

"I am coaxing you.”  

Jian Yao is surprised by his answer. That’s not what she expected to hear.  Sweetness poured into her heart.  But almost immediately, it’s replaced by reason and logic, with a touch of frustration.

She turns around to look at him: “Coax me… to be your assistant?”

“Yeah.” He taps his hand on the corner of the table, leans forward to look at her.

- I knew it!  Her lips curl into a bitter smile. 

“Well, that’s not the only reason.” He suddenly adds.

She waits…

He stares at her.  Bo Jinyan looks good in white.  It brings out his nice skin complexion.  His eyes looks clear and sharp.

“I think we should reconcile.”

Jian Yao is speechless.

 By now, Fu Ziyu has finished his call.  He’s been observing the two of them.  He can’t help but smile: “Nice job with the fish.”

Jian Yao is poking her chopsticks in an empty bowl.  She is not giving Bo Jinyan an answer.

Fu Ziyu takes a glance at Bo Jinyan: “Have some fish.  Nobody forced him to debone it for you.  He does not expect anything on return.  Don’t worry.  Just because you eat some fish does not mean you agree to reconcile with him, or to remain to be his assistant.  Right?”

“Hum…” Bo Jinyan asks coldly: “Whose side are you on?”

Fu Ziyu: “Jian Yao’s of course.  I’ve always been and will always be loyal to her!”

While the two men are bickering amongst themselves, she picks up a piece of the fish fillet with her chopsticks and puts it in her mouth.

It’s very tender. 

He spent half a day deboning the fish for her… till his fingers are tired.

This man…. 

—————-

Dinner is over.  They are standing in the shade under a tree in the restaurant carpark.  Fu Ziyu asks: “What should we do next?”

Jian Yao: “I need to go to the supermarket.  I won’t join you anymore.” 

Bo Jinyan stands next to her.  He takes a look at her.  

Fu Ziyu smiles: “Then we will accompany you to the supermarket.  We are coaxing you, remember?  Today, you are the Queen.  We will follow Your Majesty anywhere.  Is that right, Bo Jinyan?”

Jian Yao laughs: “ Oh, Come on…”    Bo Jinyan agrees with a low voice: “Yes, we will go with you…”

—————

How often does a lady get to stroll the supermarket with two handsome and charming ‘bodyguards’.  She is attracting lots of attention today.  

Fu Ziyu is clearly in a good mood today.  He is playing his ‘Queen’s knight’ role extremely well.  “Your Majesty, which aisle should we take?” “My Queen, do you want this brand of salt?”….

His charm manages to soothe her melancholy.  She can’t help but smile: “Oh, stop calling me that.”

Bo Jinyan stands quietly by her side.  From her peripheral vision, she knows that Bo Jinyan is always looking at her.  She refuses to engage with him, so she keeps looking away from him.  They don’t talk to each other at all.