62

It’s past midnight.  There has been misty rain all night. 

Bo JinYan comes out from the bathroom in his black pyjamas.  His hair, still damp, is combed behind his ears.  He takes a look at the bed.  Jyao is sleeping with her head buried in the pillow.  Her long hair scattered on the white bed sheets.  

He looks at her for a while.  Then he walks over to the window.  Drops of water forms and drips down on the window as the soft rain hits the glass. He gives Fu ZiYu a call.

Fu ZiYu does not sound pleased: “Do you know what time it is? I have to perform an operation at 9am tomorrow!”

Bo JinYan looks at the clock on the wall, and answers accurately: “1:20am.”  He says without any guilt or shame in his voice.  

But Fu ZiYu knows he is calling for a reason at this hour, so he asks: “…. What’s bothering you?”

“We’ve lost him.” Bo JinYan says in a low voice, “He vows to commit more serious crimes.  He might be targeting people who are close to me.  Please be careful.”

Fu ZiYu is quiet for a while, then he says: “Ok.  I will.  Don’t worry about me. How are you and Jian yao doing?”

Bo JinYan answers: “I am fine. But Jian yao…. one of her good friends may have become the Flower Cannibal’s victim.”

Fu ZiYu gives a small sigh: “Please send my regards.”   

“Will do.”

Fu ZiYu says to him: “I know you are preoccupied with the case.  But as a boyfriend, make sure you spend more time with her and comfort her.”

His words are what Bo JinYan has in mind.  He frowns. 

Fu ZiYu waits for a response.  But whenhe doesn't get one for more than a minute, he ask: “What is it?”

Bo JinYan asks faintly: “What should I do to comfort her?

He sees her grieving for her best friend.   But this genius/natural born lover is running out of ideas. 

Fu ZiYu smiles. He thinks for a while, then says: “Simple.  When she is feeling down, sing to her.  I guarantee she will laugh.”

Bo JinYan  shows disbelief on his face: “No way?!”  Then he hangs up.

Jian yao pushes herself to sit up on the bed.  She is awake.  Her eyes are still swollen from all the crying she did yesterday, her face looks pale under the light. 

“Jinyan.” She calls him softly.  

Bo JinYan walks over and sits down beside her.

He is as handsome as ever.  His black eyes looking gently at her. He is concerned about her.  

“Are you feeling better now?” He asks with a warm voice.  

Jian yao nods: ‘Yes, better.”

“Then give me a kiss.”

Jian yao’s voice is still a little coarse: “Are you a kid?”

Bo JinYan looks at her:  “Yesterday, you left at least one litre of tears on my shirt - who’s the kid?”

She remembers Li Xun Ran.  The crime scene.  Li Xun Ran’s empty house, his police uniform hanging in his room….

Her heart aches again.  She tells herself to be brave. There is still hope.  They didn’t find a body.

She lifts up her head to look at Bo JinYan: “Have you never cried in your life?”