45

It is a pleasant autumn night.  The evening is cool, but comfortable.  Beneath the stars and moon, the three of them walks toward a bar situated next to the lake in the city.

Jian Yao is standing in front of the white railings by the lake.  On her left is Li Xunran, on her right, Bo Jinyan.    Both of them are tall and handsome.  And both of them seem to want to walk beside her all the time so she is ‘clipped’ in the middle between the two of them.

Actually, it is not a bad thing - her best friend, and the man she adores, both by her side on a beautiful night.

Of course, if Li Xunran would drop that cunning smile of his, and Bo Jinyan does not have that solemn look on his face,  that would have been perfect.

A few people are holding water lanterns and walking towards the water edge.  Bo Jinyan seems to be interested in what they are doing.  He follows them for a closer look.

As Bo Jinyan walks away, Jian Yao uses this opportunity to talk to Li Xunran: “I told you I don’t need your help.”

Li Xunran playfully hits her head and says: “Don’t be afraid.  I know what I am doing.  Your happiness is of utmost importance to me.”

Bo Jinyan walks back.  He asks them: ”What are you chatting about?’

Jian Yao is about to speak, but Li Xunran starts before her: “We are chatting about Yao Yao’s love life.”

“Oh… love life?” Bo Jinyan looks at her, with an unusual smile on his face.

Li Xunran answers: “A few of my colleagues are interested in her after working together on the ‘killer machine’ case.  They have asked me to find out if they have a chance.”  He turns to Jian Yao: “So, what do you think?”

Jian Yao don’t know what to say.  She doesn’t want to make Li Xunran to look bad in front of Bo Jinyan, so she just replies: “Let’s talk about this later.”

Bo Jinyan raises his brows and  looks sharply at her.

“For a good lady, it’s the quality of the suitors that is important, not quantity.”

Oh… another opinion on love from him.

Li Xunran is not letting go of this great opportunity: “Professor Bo, you are her senior.  If you know of any fine young man, you should introduce them to Jian Yao. Her mom is quite concerned as well.  She is always talking to me about it.”

Jian Yao is getting more and more embarrassed. What if he says - I don't care about pathetic matters like these?”

But his response is different from what Jian Yao has expected.  He smiles and says: “Fine young man?  Of course I can introduce someone.  He is outstanding.  As long as she wants a boyfriend.”   He looks at her warmly as he ‘hints’ to Jian Yao.

But of course, Jian Yao misunderstands him again.  She heart sinks when she heard this.  

He wants to introduce someone else to her…

She gives a faint smile: “Let not talk about this anymore.  I am not looking for a boyfriend at the moment.”

This statement caused Bo Jinyan’s smile to freeze.  But again, Jian Yao is too heavy hearted to notice.

Li Xunran looks at the both of them.  The smile on his face has never left him.  

—————-

They walk for a little longer and come to the entrance of a bar.  The bar is situated in the middle of an island in the lake.  The setting looks very nice.  Jian Yao asks: “Should we go inside?”