40

Huo Xiao Lu's story began when she was eleven years old.  

It was love at first sight.  She liked Su Bei the first moment she laid her eyes on him.

His parents are also ex-workers from the textile factories.  But unlike her, he has lots of friends.  He seems to be living a happy and contented life.

She has nothing.  She does not like going home.  Some nights, she can hear squeaky beds, heavy breathing and moaning sounds.  Each time, a different man walks out of her mother’s bedroom in the morning.

In 2003, her father abandoned the family.  He went off to Dong Guan with another woman.  But rather than feeling sad, Huo Xiao Lu felt relieved.  She was fed up with the constant fighting between her parents.

However, the peaceful times didn’t last long.  

Two years after her father left, her mother was made redundant. 

A middle aged woman with no formal education or specialised skill.  She turned to prostitution to support herself and her daughter.

Her mother did her best to solicit in areas away from Huo Xiao Lu’s school and where her friends live.  Her classmate assumed her mother was working as a labourer out of town.  But every time Huo Xiao Lu takes the money to pay for school fees, she feels dirty and disgusted.  

She didn’t always hate Ruan Ming Huai.  But she decided to ‘befriend’ her after Ruan started the rumours about Su Bei being an homosexual.

No one can defame her prince.  She decided to become Ruan’s friend first, then she will find an opportunity to avenge her.

The murder was an impulsive decision.

That evening, Ruan Ming Huai received a call from Su Bei.  Ruan asked Huo Xiao Lu to leave first.  The arrogant and joyous smile on Ruan’s face infuriated her.  

• Su Bei was falling for this shallow and bossy girl?

She tried to persuade Ruan Ming Huai not to meet up with him: “Didn’t you say you are over him?  Why do you still want to go?”

But Ruan knew her secret.  She said scornfully: “Do you think I don’t know how you feel towards Su Bei? Shame on you for trying to steal your good friend’s boyfriend.” 

Huo Xiao Lu secretly followed Ruan Ming Huai up the hill. 

 Su Bei hadn’t arrived yet.  So she appeared and apologised to Ruan Ming Huai.  She assured Ruan she will stay away from Su Bei…

When she saw the blood gushing out of Ruan Ming Huai’s wound, and her body convulsing, a great joy swept over her.  

It was a thrilling experience.  

A few hours later, she found Su Bei on top of an empty watch tower. 

This is the place he usually hangs out when he is not happy.  Sitting by himself, looking far into the horizon.  She found out about this place years ago.  She used to stand quietly at the corner, just looking at him… 

That night, she approached Su Bei: “What’s the matter?  Is something bothering you?”

Su Bei’s face was very pale.  He looked like he was still in shock.  “Ah… nothing…  Xiao Huo, I have to leave town tonight.  I might not see you again.  You take care.”

This was a bolt from the blue for Huo Xiao Lu.  She thought for a moment, then said to him: “Do you have enough money?  I have some saving at home I can lend to you.  Come with me.”