o. the hartleys

prologue

prologue.
the hartleys.

          Tommy readjusted his glasses

Though they usually rested upon the bridge of his nose stiffly, as he read through the packet of physics homework on his disk he found them shuffling against his skin—most likely due to the frustrated scrunching of his nose—and irritating his sensitive skin. He grabbed the pencil in his hand tightly as he drew spirals across the top corner of the paper, trying to distract himself from the unresolvable question he read aloud to his best friend, "Why does time seem to flow in only one direction? Like what? Certified Physicists couldn't answer that."

          Peter Parker sat upwards on his bed. The arrogant concentration resting upon his face was hidden to Tommy who sat with his feet crossed on his best friend's bedroom floor. Peter put down the notebook in his hands as he leaned forward; pressing his elbows against his knees as he answered in a matter-of-fact tone. "I thought you were the smartest person in school, Tommy. It's a simple question really. Space and Time forms a four-dimensional structure."

          Tommy rolled his eyes as he turned backwards, "And that correlates how?"

          "Is it not obvious enough? Four dimensional structure. Please tell me I don't have to explain this to you." Peter replied wearily, outstretching himself comfortably as he pulled himself onto the ground across from Tommy. Tommy didn't question the sudden proximity, mostly because it was never a question of security between the two. They didn't have to ever explain their friendship, it was simple. Just as every other. Tommy broke eye contact, blinking as he turned away. "But space is different from time in many ways. We move around in space with time it's like—we're stuck. We grow older, not younger."

Peter's eyebrows furrowed. Naturally. He wasn't usually questioned in the face of academics. He knew science well, maybe better than any other person he'd met. But with Tommy Hartley there was always an inkling of competition. It was one of the many reasons they'd gotten along so well when they first met. Yet, now. Even though it was just one question that brought speculation to Peter's knowledge, his pride was still cut. His jaw locked in thought, "Hm. We're looking this up."