iii. making new friends

chapter three

chapter three.
making new friends

          Tommy had a gift at deceiving

Maybe that wasn't something to admit so easily, but now that he was from a family who deceived for a living? He felt significantly less bad about how easy it'd always come to him. He nervously squeezed his hands into his pockets as him and Peter walked into Oscorp. They looked clueless as they circled the entryway. Both grabbing onto the sleeves of the others jackets as they circled the entrance another time.

          "Excuse me. Can I help you two?"

          "Oh, um—yes, actually. We're here to see Dr Connors," Peter instantly answered. Tommy held in a groan at the boy's immediate answer. He turned with his friend, letting go of his sleeve as their eyes narrowed in on the woman below him. The receptionist raised a wear eyebrow at the duo, until she shook her head and went back to typing at the computer in front of her without another thought. "You'll find your badge to the left? You are here for the—"

          "Internship, yes. Thank you." Tommy quickly finished as he pulled Peter towards the row of badges beside them, before he could give away any bit of his obvious obliviousness. Peter reached down and clipped the closest badge to his best friend's chest, then grabbed the one right next to that and clipped it against his own chest. Tommy blinked as he realized the names. The receptionist seemed to realize it at the same time. She furrowed her eyebrows as she glanced back up. "You're welcome Mr—Guevaras?"

          "Gracias!" Peter cheered as Tommy walked ahead of him, pulling his best friend forward by the strap of his backpack. The receptionist simply waved goodbye to the duo as she shook her head, calling out in a calm voice. "De Nada."

Tommy let out a relieved breath as they reached the escalators. He realized he still held onto Peter and let him go swiftly as they started to reach the top. Instead turning around to let his eyes circle the entirety of Oscorp. Oscorp was the biggest company in New York City. It's scientific discoveries and basic research were one of the many things that Tommy grow into loving what he did. He always expected to go to college for science and then later come to work at Oscorp for whatever study, he'd learn them all if that was the only obstacle. But being there, made the idea threatening.