ii. know the basics

chapter two

chapter two.
know the basics

          Tommy watched his brother observantly

          Al walked calmly through the streets of New York City. His steps were confident as he mirrored the exact actions he'd explained to Tommy only minutes before. Pickpocketing was an art when explained by a Hartley. And to any art, there was science. Which, without question was Tommy's speciality. There were steps to pickpocketing something, even if it was something small. The first step to every good trick was identifying the perfect victim. That was undoubtedly a bad way to put it, but it was true. There were certain people—that you could tell from first glance—that could take someone swiping a thing or few.

Al's voice sounded in his younger brother's head as Tommy walked down the sidewalk with his hands in his pockets. Far enough way from his brother as to not cause suspicion but close enough to see just exactly what was going on. He stopped as Al grew closer to the lady beside him. Her blonde her was tied into a knot at the top of her head through a broach laced with shiny pearls. And against her neck lay a shimmering necklace. The diamonds that were sewed into the silver links were small, yet big enough to be worth a good time. Normally Tommy wouldn't pay a second to glance to a woman so well dressed. It wasn't uncommon to see people of wealth where he went to school, but the sight that had caught his attention this certain time was the simple tattoo poking out of the cleavage of her chest. Drawn bright against her collarbone.

          A mark of old loyalty, to confederacy.

Like he'd mentioned before, normally, Tommy wouldn't pay a second to glance to something as so. He hated all people just the same, regardless of certain "differentiations." But when it was his decision on who to deem as good or bad, he had obvious biases. Playing god was harder than he had thought. But he'd ask whatever saint was real to forgive him for choosing the easy way out.

"Excuse me," Al coughed into his hand as he bumped into the lady. Tommy took a step back, turning to the storefront beside him as he subtly looked over his shoulder; watching the interaction with a heavy eye. From afar it looked like any normal jolt in the street, but upon knowing what was about to go down; Tommy knew exactly what was happened between the two.