v. deep digging

chapter five

chapter five.
deep digging

          Tommy took a second to understand

          "So, you think that you're becoming a cross between spider and human hybrid. Like uh—I don't know. A spiderman?" Tommy's eyebrows knit together curiously as he looked up across his shoulder, frowning at Peter. He'd entertained Peter's bad ideas for most of his life. Sometimes he was the one proposing the things that ended with them getting in trouble, but occasionally even he saw the stupidity of one of their propositions. And this was definitely one of those moments. He briefly looked away to keep himself from giving in, his frown disappearing at the look Peter was giving him. "You can't be serious."

"But I am. Very." Peter nodded proudly as he defended his words. He knew it was going to be hard to completely get Tommy on his side, but that was the exact reason he'd brought him along on this coming adventure. He didn't care if others didn't believe, nor was he particularly jumping at the chance to expose his new found identity to the public. But sharing something like this was Tommy was almost as if it was a necessity. They told each other everything, and he didn't want that to change. "That's why we're here."

Tommy turned. "Where's here—"

Before he could finish his question, Peter ran up the steps to the big house they stood in front of. He knocked lightly as he motioned Tommy forward, turning back to face the door—just as it opened—with a full toothed smile. The glasses upon the bridge of his nose raised as his eyes crinkled. Tommy ran forward protectively. Tugging on the sleeve of Peter's jacket nervously, until he saw the face standing in front of them. And instead he only became more confused. "Dr. Connors?"

          Peter laughed awkwardly as he looked between Tommy and Connors. He saw the confusion in his best friends expression and the fear in the doctors before completely cutting in. Taking a short step forward calmly, "I know you probably don't remember us."

          "The interns from the other day," Connors stated carefully as his eyes narrowed in on the teen's face. He spoke in an eloquent voice, as if he was used to dealing with crazed interns who would randomly show up to his home. Tommy felt like an intruder, growing more guilty as he let go of Peter's sleeve. He tried to nudge him away but Peter ignored him, listening to Connors as the man continued. "I'm sure you're both very nice young men but this is a home. And I'll have to ask you to make an appointment at my office."