Part 4:

TW: panic attacks, high school flashbacks, ignoring texts, sympathy for someone who ignores texts, self-deprecating thoughts, rudeness, calling someone a pathological liar.  ... (Let me know if I should add more)

~~~Logan~~~

Logan met Virgil when they were 15.

He was a sheltered kid whose parents had high expectations. He was supposed to go to Harvard, he was only allowed to have friends his parents pre-approved, he wasn't allowed to go out after school, and he wasn't allowed to sleep over at anyone else's house.

Virgil on the other hand was constantly in and out of foster homes, they were the lonely outcast everyone was scared of, they constantly came to school covered in bruises and he was mean to anyone who messed with him. Logan was told by another student that the bruises came from him fighting other people. And for some reason he believed them.

Virgil wasn't safe where he stayed, he never really had a home, and due to reputation, they didn't have any friends either. Virgil just wanted a place where they felt safe.

It didn't take long for Logan to become that safe place for Virgil, and Virgil to become a source of freedom for Logan.

Logan tried avoiding Virgil at school, and for a while, it worked. Except when they had debate together, (Logan always won against them of course because Virgil never really tried their hardest.) they had the same lunch, (where they sat at separate tables far away from each other) and finally they had a group project together.

There was no avoiding Virgil during that. And Logan was annoyed by the idea of having to work together but he soon realized they got along pretty well. Virgil was very interesting, passionate, honest, maybe a little dramatic and emotional but...still. There was something very pleasant about them that made Logan...feel.

Unfortunately, nothing came of the obvious (in Logan's mind at least) chemistry until he saw Virgil a week later having a panic attack in the bathroom.

Virgil was shaking violently as tears poured down his face, "p-lea-se don'."he pleaded silently.

Logan wasn't sure exactly what to do, luckily most of the students were in their last class, (where Logan was supposed to be) so he didn't have to worry too much about someone walking in. But Logan still locked the door just in case, he figured Virgil wouldn't appreciate an audience.

"Virgil? Can you hear me?" Logan asked.

Virgil didn't answer, only continued to shrink away.

"Virgil, It's ok. I'm not going to hurt you. You're safe, you're ok." Logan tried to be comforting, but frankly he wasn't very good at it- it's not like he had any examples growing up.

Virgil tried to breathe but it was hard, they were clearly struggling.

"It's ok, breathe in." Logan instructed softly.

Virgil did.

Logan paused.

"And breathe out."

Virgil followed his instructions until he was back in the moment.

"Are you alright?" Logan asked.

Virgil finally looked up at him. "Logan?" he asked.

Logan nodded. "It's me. Are you ok?"

Virgil nodded and shut his eyes, clearly embarrassed. "m' fine."

"I need to head to class..."Logan says.

Que the final bell. "Or...home I suppose."

Virgil didn't move.

"Can I call someone for you?" he asked. Missing one class wasn't going to ruin his chances of getting into Harvard...right?