part 6:

~~~Virgil~~~

Virgil tried to stay big while staying with Patton, but it was hard. Especially since Patton was their online caregiver a few years back. His voice, coddling, and his constant use of the word 'kiddo' wasn't helping either. They felt safe with Patton, and also small. 

It wasn't like they thought Patton wouldn't be ok with him regressing, he knew Patton wouldn't mind it, he may even love it if Virgil regressed. But he can't let himself become so vulnerable as to needing a caregiver. Online is one thing but in person? He can't let themself get use to something like that.

It would only lead to disappointment.

But unfortunately quitting cold turkey was never going to be an option. He thankfully didn't sleep his first night at Patton's place, but the second sleep wasn't going to be avoidable. So as per normal he woke up from a nightmare with tears streaming down their face. It was one of the worst nightmares they've had in years.

It was their ex-boyfriend... he was hurting them. Yelling at them, throwing things and- and...

Virgil, being little and not knowing what to do yells, "help! Please! Patton?"

~~~Patton~~~

Patton quickly grabbed his glasses off his nightstand and ran to Virgil's room. "Virgil? Kiddo? Are you ok? What happened? "He asked.

Virgil was still just crying in bed when Patton found him, they didn't even notice Patton at first.

"Virgil? Kiddo?" Patton tried to grab his hand, but Virgil flinched and jumped away from Patton. Breathing heavily but not quite hyperventilating yet.

"Please," They cry, "please don't- hu-urt me-he."

"Kiddo, it's just me. It's Patton, No one is going to hurt you, breathe with me."

Virgil tried but it was too hard.

"Deep breath in." Patton instructed.

Virgil did.

"And out."

Virgil listened.

And he continued to coach them until finally they calmed down a little.

Virgil looked up at him."P-Pap?"He blinks.

"I'm here, kiddo. You're safe."

Virgil instantly wrapped their arms around Patton, "m'sowry, pap."

"For what, baby?"

"Waken you up..."They mumble.

Patton kisses the top of their head, "that wasn't your fault, you just had a bad dream. Actually, I'm glad you woke me up because now we can cuddle."

Virgil giggles a little, drying up the tears.

"I always wanted to cuddle my little storm cloud, "he says, hugging Virgil tight.

Virgil smiles, and hiccups.

"You want some milk, angel? "Patton asks, rubbing the littles arm lovingly.

"Angel milk? "Hey ask.

"Of course, special angel milk for a super special angel baby it is." Patton smiles bright. "Wait right here, "he says to Virgil before turning on the light and handing them his phone to watch nightmare before Christmas (He downloaded it as soon as Virgil moved in, he wanted to be ready for anything.)

When Patton came back, Virgil seemed perfectly content just watching his movie. But then they smiled bright when they noticed Patton was back. "Pap!"

Patton hands Virgil the sippy cup. "You want to talk about your dream, kiddo?" He asks, sitting on the bed again.