One - where it started

~*~

"john!" a disturbed yell sounded from the bathroom. Johann Evans husband of Riannah Evans rushed into the bathroom where his wife was standing in front of the mirror. "what is it honey?" he asked but she just continued to stare at the floor. Johann followed her gaze and saw the puddle of water on the floor. "oh my your water broke honey, she is on her way" he rushed to her side wrapping his arm around her waist to guide her out of the bathroom.

He helped her quickly to change into fresh pair of joggers and slung the labor bag they had prepared almost two weeks ago over his shoulder. "everything will be fine honey" he assured the woman who was beginning to panic. "I know john, I'm just nervous" she admitted as they made their way to their car.

They arrived to the hospital only 15 minutes later, they would probably find ultiple speeding tickets in their mailbox when they would get back home but all that mattered was that their child got delivered.

"We're sorry for your loss sir" the doctor said handing Johann Evans his newborn daughter. "What would you like to name her?" The couple had wanted to decide that when she was born, to see what name would fit her. He knew this girl was a fighter, she would grow up strong even without her mother, so he named her Ryan it was a fierce name, after her mom. "Ryan,I want to name her Ryan Delilah Evans" he said adding the name his wife loved as second name,

"Ryan Delilah Evans, time of birth, 8:15 Pm, Riannah Evans time of death 8:16 pm"

- 3 years later -

Johann had been raising Ryan on his own for the past three years. His sister Bryanna stepping in when needed. Like when Johann got called into work unexpectedly and needed a babysitter. He was a succesfull laborant and studied a lot of things from outerspace, working for shield.

"okay Ry, pink or blue sprinkles?" Ryan stared at the two different colors of sprinkles her dad was holding. "blue!" she beamed making John smile. "then blue it is honey" he started sprinkling the blue topping onto the cupcakes they just made. Ryan was bopping up and down on the step standing next to her father chanting 'blue sprinkles'.

Johns phone began to ring just as he was about to finish the last cupcake. He put the sprinkles down before putting Ryan on the floor "stay right here honey dada needs to answer this" he told the toddler who huffed cutely before sitting down on the floor to wait for her dad.

"johann speaking" he said after picking up the phone, it was one of his colleagues asking him to please come in because they discovered something new with the energy core they were inspecting.

Back in the kitchen Ryan started to get bored and her eyes landed on the tray of blue sprinkled cupcakes on the counter top. She looked around to be sure her dad was still in the other room before sneaking over to the steps and climbing onto the counter. Her smile widened as she reached for one of the cupcakes, checking one extra time before taking a big bite, the buttercream smearing on her cheeks.

John was now on the phone with his sister to ask her to look after Ryan. "I'm so sorry john I really can't tonight, I'm having dinner with friends for the first time in. months, I'm so sorry" Bryanne apoligised. John knew she hadn't seen her friends in a while, and he could have known she was going out if he hadn't dazed off everytime she ranted about ebing so excited to see her friends again. "It's fine Bry, have fun, I'll figure something out" with that he hung up and walked back into the kitchen gasping at the scene in front of him.

On the counter sat his daughter with the lower half of her face covered in buttercream and sticky fingers, two cupcake wrappers besides her. "want some dada?" she asked holding out her hands holding on eof the cupcakes. She suddenly let out a burp and that's whne John burst out in laughter. "oh you little cupcake monster" he gushed taking the cupcake from her. "they're yummy, the yummiest of all" ryan giggled. John took a bite "wow honey they are delicious, high five" he held up his hand and her tiny, sticky, hand returned the highfive.

"dada's got to go to work, but you're coming with me" he explained and Ryan tilted her ehad "I'm not going to auntie?" John shook his head. "not today, now let's get you cleaned so we can go"

~*~

He had packed some of his daughters toys into his bag to keep her occupied while he worked. He sat her down in his office and put her toys on the rug. His office was spacious with a desk two seats with a coffee table, a small couch with a tv on the opposite wall and a bookcase. "right honey, you can play with your dolls, or watch the tellie" he told her, he had put on some kids show and hidden the remote higher up so she wouldn't change the channel.

He rushed out of the door to get to the lab, in his hurry he forgot to lock the door. His collegeause were all circled around a microscope, studying a microscopic piece of the energy core in one of the other rooms.

"do do do do do do" ryan sang as she played with the barbies. She was starting to get a bit bored, there was a show she disliked playing on the tellie and her barbies were no longer entertaining. She stood up and started to wander around the office. She opened one of the books from the shelves, it was filled with diagrams and scematical drawings. "wow" she whispered amazed at the colorfull drawings, they weren't anything like the drawings in her books.

After flipping through the book for a few minutes she decided to look out of the window in the door. She stood on her tippytoes but didn't have a good balance yet she was about to fall over so she reached for the door handle to catch herself. This lead to the door opening and her falling into the hallway with a thud.

"ouchie" she crawled to her feet and touched her left knee which she landed on, it had a throbbing pain. She was about to cry when something else cached her attention. It wasn't a sight nor a sound, it wasn't a smell either, it was a feeling. A tugging feeling urging her to follow, and so she did. She wandered the corridors going unnoticed by the workers in their offices because she didn't reach the height of the windows in their doors.

She stopped in front of a big metal door, a light scanned her before an AI began to speak "dna scan complete welcome doctor evans" the heavy doors slid open and Ryan had to blink against the bright light coming from the pink energy core in the middle of the room. Once her eyes had adjusted to the light she slowly walked closer. Amazed by the big floating pink orb in front of her. "wow" she whispered reaching out her hand to touch the sparkly thing.

Suddenly she was sucked into the core letting out a shriek. Her whole body burned before the core spat her out again.

A loud bang was heard making the laborants including John look up before an alarm started to ring, "code 403, an explosion happened in room 202" the AI spoke. "Ryan!" john gasped rushing out wanting to find his daughter as soon as possible because she was on the same floor as the explosion.

He rushed up the stairs the elevator would be taking to long. "ryan honey" he yelled as he ran into his offices his eyes scanning the room and widening when his daughter was nowhere to be found. He ran down the hall to room 403 and waited for the AI to do the dna scan. The doors slid open to reveal the energy core in its normal state, that isn't what shocked him. The thing that shocked him was his 3 year old laying on the floor and glowing the same pink as the big orb.

"oh god Ry!" he yelled rushing to pick his daughter up. He held her close to her chest as he rushed out "someone call an ambulance, my daughter she's hurt" he yelled rushing to his office to retrieve his phone. "and ambulance is on it's way sir" Kelly from administration said following him. The sirens of the embulance came closer and Ryan had stopped glowing. "she got in touch with an energy core from outer space" he told the emergency workers as ryan was strapped to a gurney and a airmask was placed over her nose and mouth, things where being yelled around as he sat next to her holding her tiny hand in his. "please fight for me little one, I know you can do it you are so strong, I can't lose you" he rambled.

John grabbed his phone and dialled a number he knew from the top of his head, the phone only rang twice before someone answered on the other side. "fury, Ryan got in touch with the core" he told Nick Fury who was on the other side. "I'm on my way" he answered before hanging up.

"hang on little one"

~*~

22-12-2021