nine - Arrow to the heart

Of course when I got home dad wanted to hear everything about it and bombarded me with questions, "dad please I haven't slept since yesterday night so please, can I take a nap before we start this interrogation?" I asked not looking at him or waiting for a reply to walk into my room. I fell face first into my bed and was woken up 4 hours later by dad to get me for dinner.

I looked at my phone and saw a lot of texts from peter, I typed out a quick 'can't come over, dad wants to know everything, I'll see you tomorrow' before joining dad for dinner.

"would you like to start with why you were out?" was the first question not even a minute into dinner. "I go out some nights when I can't sleep" I answered and he nodded before the second question came "what do you do when you're out and about" I shrugged looking down at my food. "it depends, some nights I just sit on the fire escape or the roof, other nights I take a walk around" dad shook his head "the streets are a a dangerous place at night especially for a young girl like you"

"not if I'm invisible" I mumbled "what else do you do?" he asked he looked me staright in the eyes before taking a bite and chewing slowly. He already knew the answer he just wanted to hear it from me. "I uhm... I steal" I mumbled looking down again, not daring to meet his gaze. "what do you steal, and why, and look at me please we are having a conversation" I gulped down my bite before looking up to answer. "I steal from grocery stores, the first time I did it was to help a lady out, it gave me so much adrenaline, to do something that isn't within the rules, something to just, let off a little steam y'know" I started dad had a look in his eyes I couldn't place.

"that first time I went in like half visible, you know where I only make my clothes visible, I kept my head down so I looked normal, I mean it would be weirder if a bag of chips just floathed by" I rambled and dad actually let out a small chuckle before turning serious again. "when I was about to walk out with the food the cashier was like, yo dude you're on camera, so I turned to him, obviously he was shocked, and said am I?" dad shook his head in the way he always did when I did something stupid like this, 'typically Ryan' he would mumble.

"it gave me such a kick, so I kept doing it when ever I saw someone who could use a little cheering up, I mean it would make them a bit happier and I got that adrenaline kick, it was a win win" I finished. "you sound like your mom" he commented taking me completely off guard, we rarely spoke about my mom. "what?" I asked in disbelieve.

"your mom, she was a dare devil, always up to do something reckless, like cliff jumping, or anything that gave her that kick, but just like you she had a heart of gold" he had a fond smile on his face while talking. "she had natural blond hair, but always dyed it, either in a funky colour or black, because every girl wanted blond hair, so she did the exact opposite, like you" I unconsciously ran my fingers through my, recently re-dyed black hair and smiled to myself.

"I remember when I first dyed it, you tried so hard to be mad at me" I chuckled "but you found it so cool that you scolding went into you complementing me". He nodded "you are the spitting image of your mom, but with my freckles, and intelligence".

"so... Stark?" dad said after a long pause filled with a comfortable silence. "yeah, one of his people brought me in, and Tony said he wanted to recruit me" I summed up. "on first name basis already?" I shook my head "nope but I don't care".

We talked for a bit more, mostly about the responsibility this would put on me, I said I could take it. After that I went back to my room to sleep again until the morning. At least that was the plan.

Around 2 am the window slid open and peter crawled inside, he went to my side to shake me awake. Me still in a sleepy haze panicked and of course just had to blow him into the wall. "shit" I cursed followed by my dad yelling from his room "Ryan?! Everything okay"