Ch. 46 Trials and Tribulations

July 3rd, 1985Beneath Starcourt Mall

July 3rd, 1985
Beneath Starcourt Mall

"Shit! Shit!" Dustin's screams were one of the many that could be heard from inside the room, or now as we recognized it an elevator, as it descended multiple stories at lightning speed.

   "We're going down! We're going down!" Steve panicked as his grip on me tightened painfully. "Yeah, no shit, Harrington!" Robin shouted from the other side of the room, desperately holding into the metal shelves that we're anchored to the wall.

   "Why are we just standing here!" I screamed at the four, pulling myself away from Steve on shaky legs as I quickly walked across the shaking room and towards the control panel.

   Surely if one of these buttons got us in this situation, one would have to be able to get us out of it.

   Slamming my finger on the button that looked like an arrow pointing upwards, it had little to no effect on the disembarking elevator.

   "Why don't these buttons work!" I yelled out of frustration before slamming my hand against the control panel. "Press the button!" Erica yelled at me over the screams of the others as she pushed my hand away from the panel, instead slamming her finger on the 'open door' button.

   "What do you think I'm doing?" I groaned out in frustration, continuing to press the multiple buttons in front of me as Dustin pushed his way over. "Come on, press something! Just press the button!" He yelled repeating the same action as Erica.

   Just as I threw my hands up in defeat, the elevator came to a crashing halt, sending us flying to the ground. Multiple boxes tipped over and off of the shelves as the room shook violently one last time.

   Steve let out a pained groan from the corner of the room as the rest of us tried to regain our footing. "My groin... It fell on my groin. Nell! Get this off of me."

   Turning to face the corner, I found Steve pinned on the ground by one of the Imperial Panda boxes.

   "Are you okay?" I whispered, quickly picking the heavy box up and off of him.

   "Yeah, I'm great, now that I know that Russians can't design elevators!" Steve yelled as he pushed himself off of the floor, running a stressed hand through his hair as he hurried past me and towards the control panel.

   "Well then... is everyone else okay?" I muttered watching as Steve slammed his hand against the buttons.

  "I think we've clearly established that those buttons don't work." Robin pointed out as the buttons still had little to no effect on the locked door. "They're buttons! They have to do something!" Steve yelled, turning to face Robin with annoyance dripping from his tone.

   "Yeah, if we had a key card." She stated the obvious as she gestured her hand towards the panel. "It's an electronic lock. Same as the loading dock door. If we don't have a keycard it won't operate, meaning--"