Ch. 9 Tragedy At Lover's Lake

March 26th, 1986Hawkins, Indiana

March 26th, 1986
Hawkins, Indiana

"Not to be a wimp, but can I sit in the car?" Robin called out from the front seat beside Nancy as we drove to Reefer Rick's cabin to meet back up with Eddie. "'Cause this is gonna totally and royally suck." She stated, shooting a glance at Nance who only shook her head and kept her eyes on the road. "It'll be fine."

Understatement of the year, really. We didn't know anything, not really. We had a bunch of pointless leads that led nowhere, let alone the fact that even though we knew where Vecna was, it wasn't like we had a way to him. "I can't stand to see those dull eyes of Eddie's break again. I really, really can't." She continued glumly.

"At least he can drink himself to feeling better." Steve called out, holding up the six-pack that Eddie had requested while he and Dustin snacked on some pringles we had snagged at the store. "Right 'cause that always helps." I mumbled from my place beside, resting my head on the back of Lucas' seat.

"Why don't we give it a trial run?" Robin questioned, looking at us through the rearview mirror. "Hey, Eddie. Uh- good news first this time. We got some Dustin-approved junk food and that six-pack you requested. Oh yeah, and we found Vecna. Bad news is that he's in that other, darker, much scarier dimension, and the gate's closed, so we have no way of getting to him. He's entirely shut off to us, so basically you're screwed. And, no, I know you were already screwed, but now you're doubly, triply screwed." She rambled, her voice quickly rising with her anxiety.

An awkward silence fell over the car once she finished her little rehearsal. "Needs some work but sounds about right." I mumbled with a frown. "Maybe we don't put it like that." Lucas mumbled, turning to face me with wide eyes. "We're one step closer to finding Vecna." Nancy offered with a shrug. "That's what we say. That's what's important."

"That's the only good news we have to offer after leaving him in the dark for over a day..." I muttered, rolling my eyes as Steve threw a broken chip at Dustin. "You know, a positive spin could make all the difference?" Steve offered a small grin, earning a curt nod from me before I shifted my gaze back onto the road, "Oh, shit..."

The road leading to Reefer Ricks was blocked off. Police cars and barricades brought us to a halt as we looked over the scene of worried citizens as they tried to look past the cops and ambulance as they rushed around the scene. Pulling over, we quickly piled out of the car to join the crowd and figure out what was going on. "Nothing to see here! Just step back a litte. All right?" Powell called out from the front of the crowd as a news crew raised a mic over him.

"This way..." Nancy whispered, quickly ushering us around the news van so that we could have a clear view of Powell. "As many of you know, the Roane County line received a call a little after midnight... reporting a homicide here on the lake. Officer Callahan here and myself arrived first on the scene. We made our way to the shore of Lover's Lake, about ten yards from that house you see behind me. It was there we found the victim, an eighteen-year-old senior from Hawkins High, Patrick McKinney. His limbs... his body, it was disfigured. There was an eyewitness on the scene, we have also identified a person of interest. Eddie Munson."