Ch. 7 The Chime of the Clock

March 25th, 1986Wheeler Household

March 25th, 1986
Wheeler Household

The rest of that evening was a blur. After the adrenaline that had coursed through our veins for the past few hours, our bodies inevitably crashed. We needed to rest but after everything, we all fought to stay awake. We had just saved Max but whose to say that Vecna wouldn't try again while we slept? Nancy had proposed we take turns, sleeping in shifts to watch over Max just in case.

I told Steve to sleep for the first few shifts, he was drained and it was noticeable how much today had taken a toll on him. He fought it for a few minutes, mumbling about how he wasn't tired and could stay up a bit longer but eventually, he complied and fell asleep on the couch in front of Dustin, Lucas, and me while Max, Nancy, and Robin rested on the other side of the basement.

Moving to tug off the jacket I wore, in a feeble attempt at getting comfortable, I winced under my breath as the material of the jacket dragged across the skin of my wrist. Furrowing my brow, I quickly readjusted the jacket onto my shoulders before carefully sliding the sleeve up to check my wrist.

"You okay?" Dustin called out to me, pulling my attention away from the blemish on my wrist and onto him and Lucas as they watched me with a close and confused gaze. "Yeah... Yeah, sorry. Just tired." I mumbled, awkwardly pushing down my sleeve before rubbing a fist into my eyes. "Is that Steve's?" Lucas questioned, gesturing to his own jacket for reference, pulling a small chuckle from me.

"Uh- I mean, it was? It's kind of been mine for the past year." I chuckled, furrowing my brow at the random question. "Sorry, I- I just didn't know you guys were back together." Dustin's eyes widened at the statement while I laughed awkwardly at the assumption. "What do you mean? We- We never broke up." Dustin stole my attention as he quickly shook his head at Lucas, trying to stop him from elaborating anymore.

"What is it exactly that he doesn't want me knowing, Dustin?" I questioned, narrowing my eyes on the curly-haired boy who looked anxiously between Steve's sleeping form and me. "What? That's- that's crazy-" Dustin laughed off the question but my glare only hardened. "Spill it, Dustin."

Dustin puffed his cheeks, waving off the issue with a cheesy grin. "It's nothing... Really, it's not a big deal... It's just, you know- girls have been asking him out... The usual." He explained with a simple shrug. "That's it?" I hummed, nodding my head slightly in agreement. "That isn't a big deal." I scoffed, not understanding why he'd want Dustin to hide that from me.

"Yeah, but he hasn't exactly been saying no to them either." Lucas started, glaring at Dustin for withholding a vital piece of information. "I- I'm sorry?" I whispered, hoping that I had just misunderstood what he said but the two only stayed silent. "When was this?" I questioned softly but the two shared a contemplated gaze. "Can I... Can I safely assume it was multiple times?" I scoffed out finally, earning a hesitant nod from the two.