Ch. 51 Safeguard

July 4th, 1985Underground Russian Base

July 4th, 1985
Underground Russian Base

   "So is this like your day job or... just like a hobby?" Steve questioned the doctor who hadn't spoken a word since entering the room. The Colonel had been quick to investigate the problem that lingered in the center of the base, taking the guards that remained in the room with him, leaving us behind with the silent but threatening doctor.

   The doctor's eyes narrowed behind his spectacles at the boy's question, Steve only continued to grin up at him while Robin tried to contain her laughter, she ultimately failed in the end.

   Humming in response, the doctor directed his gaze back onto the pliers that were still latched onto my nail. "Don't even think about it..." I scoffed, struggling to pull my hand out of his grasp. My struggle was ignored, his grip tightening on the pliers that he clutched.

   Before the doctor had the chance to rip the pliers away from my finger, his action was brought to a halt as the sudden buzz of the door alerted him of the Colonel's return. Only rather than the harsh voice of his boss hitting our ears instead, we were met by a shrill scream.

   Pulling away from me and turning to face the unexpected party, the doctor and I came face to face with a screaming Dustin Henderson, who held an electroshock weapon, and an annoyed-looking Erica as she glared up at the boy.

   Without a second thought, Dustin charged in the direction of the doctor, stabbing the crackling electrodes that emitted a blue glow into the center of his chest. The screaming boy had quickly fallen silent, his eyes widening as the color drained from his face before a blood-curdling scream fell from the doctors lips.

   Dustin kept a tight grasp on the weapon for a few seconds before dropping it to the ground, the doctor following close behind with a dull thud. A hole the size of the electrode was left in the center of the doctor's chest, the melted plastic and embers of his lab coat still sizzled loudly in the now silent room.

   "Shit..." Dustin mumbled before quickly turning to untie Steve while Erica helped release Robin. "Hey! Henderson! That's crazy, I was just talking about you." Steve's voice wavered off as he suddenly found himself freaked out by the boy's sudden appearance. "Oh my God!" Robin grinned widely as she looked over at Dustin.

   Shaking his head at the two teens, shooting them a rushed but confused glance, Dustin hurried away from Steve and towards me. "Get ready to run." He instructed as he undid the straps that held me down.

   Rather than questioning the younger boy on what exactly his plan was to get us out of the compound, I quickly pushed myself off of the metal table and followed close behind him and Erica as they quickly retreated to the locked door. The panicked voices of the guards still sounded far but seemed to be moving closer.

   "Where are we going?" Robin whispered in my ear causing me to quickly back away in surprise. "We're getting out of here," I mumbled watching as Steve yawned before rubbing his eyes, flinching once he made contact with his bruised eye. " Come on..." I groaned, latching a hand onto both of their wrists before quickly following Dustin and Erica out of the room.