Chapter 1.

"Pay attention to me this is important" a mans voice grumbled.

"Sorry, I'm paying attention now" a small voice replies. The small voice belonged to a girl called Y/N, no more than 7 years old. She was petite for her age, her brown hair creeping down her back unbrushed and scraggly. Her soft brown eyes struggling to adjust to the harsh darkness of the room. Her cheeks were slightly sunken in from being malnourished and her skin pale as paper, deprived of any ray of sunlight.

The man stood before her was middle-aged with piercing wrinkles around his eyes and dark hair with dabs of grey coming through. His face held patches of dirt followed by raspy hairs all over his chin, sticking out madly in all directions. His eyes were deeply coloured- What colour?

"Y/N" The mans voice snapped. "You're holding your blades wrong, AGAIN." The man walked over towards her and snatched the blades from her hands. He replaced them back in her hands in a different position. He places her right sword backhanded so the blade is facing out, then places the left blade in her other hand normally.

"This is the stance you need to be in at all times. Understand?" The man insisted, walking back to his spot across the room. The room was small and dark, apart from a small window perched in the corner. Crates sprawled across the room with empty beer bottles spilling out of them.

"Are you ready to try again?" The man continued, staring down at the little figure across the room.

"Yes" she replied, bracing herself.

"Good. Begin" The man instructed, picking up his wooden poles from the floor.

Y/N ran at him, she raised her blades to her face facing out. Her small feet ran on the cobble floor, dust clouding around them. She only got so far when she came crashing to the ground with a terrible thud. The man had swept her off her feet with a swipe of his heavy boots.

"FOR FUCKS SAKE CHILD. WHAT HAVE I TAUGHT YOU?" The man barked.

"I-I'm sorry" Y/N said with her voice trembling not looking up from the floor.

"I have more chance of teaching A BRICK WALL" The man ridiculed "I'll have something that'll knock some sense into you.

She looked as her eyes welled with tears, the man was approaching her with his belt in hand. His eyes were gleaming with hatred in the darkness. He lifted the belt above his head and swung it around towards her-

Y/N's eyes snapped open, drenched in cold and sticky sweat, her arms were held in-front of her face as if they were protecting her from something. She was violently shaking as her heart was racing a million miles a minute. She sat up with a start and her eyes darted around the room paranoid it wasn't a nightmare and that he was back. She held her chest, taking deep breaths to slow her breathing once she knew she was safe.

"Fucking hell" she mumbled resting her arms on her knees, burying her face in her hands. After a few minutes Y/N ran her hands through her hair and sighed, looking back around the room. From the reflection of the mirror she could see onto the bed above her, Mikasa was still sleeping soundly upon it.

She glanced over at the clock.

"4:20 AM"