Chapter 29 ~ Books

Fayette

"Oh this one looks sad." I say as I pick up a book by yours truly, Colleen Hoover.

"Why would you want to read a sad book?" Elias asks me as I set the book down and gaze at it. "Because feeling sad is one of my greatest emotions and it shows that not everyone's story has a happy ending." I look up at him and smile.

Books are one thing I can talk about forever. Happy ending or sad ending. Books never fail to give me the emotion I need to feel sometimes.

I used to hate reading books, like hate it. I never picked one up at all. Until I met my friend Molly and when she told me that I didn't have to read a boring book they make you read at school, I was invested.

After months of trying to find the right books for me. I fell in love with the sappy, cheesy, romance novels. Those books are just so full of passion. It gives me an escape from reality.

I know that I will never have a love like those books, but that's why I read them. So that I can feel somewhat connected.

"But Fay, I hate seeing you sad, And now that I'm living with you, I'm going to have to put up with it." Elias groans and I throw my head back laughing. Knowing that Elias will say how much he is annoyed with some of my emotions but loves to hear the reason.

I somehow know that Elias will always be here for me when I need it most. When I talk to Abby and Cole about my favorite books, they just nod and I know most of the time they aren't listening.

But with Elias, He nods and uses his mouth. He asks me how it makes me feel, and he questions some parts of the book even and it makes me even happier.

"But feeling sad just proves that I'm a human who is capable of feelings." I say and he chuckles picking up a book. He looks at the back and reads the description. I watch as he does so, investment in his eyes as he reads.

"Friends to lovers." I say when I see the confused look on his face. He looks up at me and keeps his face like so.

"It's friends to lovers." I say and he nods. "Have you read it?" I nod and he nods back at me.

He then takes my hand and leads me to some soft chairs that are placed on the floor. He sits on one and still holding onto my arm, takes me down with him so i am now sitting on his lap. Well I'm more next to him, but my leg is over his and his arm is around my back.

"Read the first chapter to me." He says and hands me the book. I look in his eyes as he smiles at me with hope. I take the book from him slowly, not breaking eye contact. I open the book to the first chapter as I get comfortable.

"Someday, when you have met the person you most long for, it's hard to accept that they don't long for you." I read and he sighs. "First line already has me in tears." He says and I chuckle.

Reading to him was like a breath of fresh air. I knew he was listening to every word, He even asked me questions. Though I wouldn't tell him that the story has a sad ending yet.

After discussing things with him, I would go back to reading. I was reading quietly since we were in a bookstore and there were other people here as well.

And no, I have no clue why they don't just go to the library.

His chin on my shoulder as I read to him and he follows the words on the paper.

I flip and see we have read 5 chapters and my eyes start to get all droopy. "Eli, I'm tired." I say and he nods. He takes the book and closes it. He stands up with me and holds my hand.

As I thought he was walking to put it back, He ends up walking to the counter and smiling at the lady there.

"Just this book?" She asks and he looks at me, "Did you want to buy a book?" He asks and I shake my head. He gives me a 'are you sure' look and I nod. He looks back at the lady and nods.

She rings up the book and puts it in a paper bag. He takes my hand after paying and we walk out.

"Why did you buy the book?" I ask and he shrugs. "Because it seemed interesting." He says and I nod.  I'm excited for him to read this so it's something we can talk about.

☁️

"I don't know what to do." Elias says.

We are sitting on my bed, legs crossed in front of each other. He broke down in front of me as soon as we got back from the book store.

He is upset about his future in hockey and that he is nervous he won't get anywhere good.

"Elias, every team would be a fool not to have you. And you know what? You just have to keep moving on. But I know you're just paranoid since you are one of the best hockey players." I say and rub his back.

He moves and lays his head on my lap and puts my hand in his hair, rubbing it back and forth. I start to scratch it and he lets go of my hand, placing his hand on my thigh.

I know he knows I know he loves to be close to me. If we loved each other I would say touching is his love language.

Elias finishes sobbing after a while and I sigh knowing he is too tired to move. "Do you want to sleep?" I ask and he nods.

"In my room or yours?" I ask and he doesn't say anything, just looking at me I know he wants to stay here. I nod and lift his head off my lap. I go to turn the lights off and turn my tv on. Elias gets into the covers and lays his head down.

I get back in bed as well and grab the remote by putting on 'The Office'. We watch a few episodes when I feel Elias shift to look at me.

I turn to him and he smiles. "Do you really think I can make it?" He asks and I sigh. "Elias, I know you will make it. You just have to have faith." I say and he nods.

"What would I do if I didn't do hockey?" He asks and I shrug.

"I don't know, but that's okay. Maybe if you find yourself a hardworking wife you can be a stay at home dad." I say and he laughs.

"I do love kids." He says. "But I still want to be able to provide if that's the case." he says and I look at him. "Elias, you're worried about nothing, okay?" I know he won't believe me now, but when he is a famous hockey player doing great things, he is going to thank me.

I can't wait to see the man Elias grows to be. He is such a hard working man and I know that he will make it far.