nine

Olivia's funeral. A day I wasn't quite ready for. I don't think anyone was, if I'm being honest. Addie was absolutely heartbroken when we told her, she looked up to Olivia a lot. As for the cast, they couldn't believe it. Charlotte was struggling a lot. They were the same age and both could relate with being adopted and all that, they were best friends and now Charlotte doesn't have her.

"I can't do this" I say to Madison who was stood next to me. "You can, I believe in you. It'll be so special" she says about the speech I had made for Olivia. "I saw this photo on my phone last night from when we were on vacation" I say, showing Madison. "I set it as my Lock Screen" I say and Madison smiles. "It's a beautiful photo" she says. "I was going to post it but I thought that would be disrespectful" I say, honestly. "I don't think it is, it's Olivia. She would want to be a famous Instagram star" Madison says, laughing with me.

 She would want to be a famous Instagram star" Madison says, laughing with me

@elliestokes : my angel 👼🏼💕
comments disabled

"It's time" Mom says, coming over to me and holding my hand. "I don't want to go" I say, suddenly becoming anxious. "I'll be right next to you. Cooper's already there with Mila and Charlie" Mom says and I nod and sigh. Wake up. I don't want to do this.

As we walked in, the room was filled with people that loved Olivia dearly. They were all crying. We took front row seats, I was sat next to Mom whilst Dad was on the other side of her. Mom didn't let go of my hand. I glanced behind me at Cooper and our children, Charlie was waving at me when we made eye contact, he didn't understand what was happening.

"It's your turn" Mom says, signifying it was time for me to make my speech I prepared. "I can't do it" I say, my hands shaking. "You can, Els. I'll be right here if it gets too much you can stop" Mom says and nods. I walk up to the front, where the mic was.

"Hi everyone. Today is about my little sister, Olivia. Liv was the sweetest, kindest girl I've ever met. There wasn't a day that went by when she didn't make me laugh or smile. Everyone loves her.

I remember the first day we met, we were instantly attached to each other even though there was so many years between us. We were best friends. It's always been Els and Liv Stokes. Even though we weren't even blood related, we were so alike. We had the same personality and even the same looks. One thing that differs is that I made it and Liv didn't.

I wish I could take her spot. I wish I was the one that had gone and you were still here, with your friends and family. I don't know how I'm going to manage with you, Liv. Truthfully, I don't think I will. I need you. You're not just my little sister but you're my best friend. I love you so much

Please come home Olivia, I miss you"

After the last sentence I broke down into tears and rushed back to my Mom and Dad. "You did great Els, she's so proud of you" Dad says, taking me in for a hug. I just shake my head. This can't be real. I knew she was struggling, she made me promise to not tell Mom and Dad but if only I did, she would still be here. We could've been surfing and she could've done world championships in Spain in only a few short week.

As soon as the funeral ceremony ended, I drove away from everyone. Cooper was calling me but I just text him saying I'm fine and I'll be home later. I drive to the beach, Olivia's favourite beach where we would surf for hours on end when we were kids. It was empty, there was nobody here and I just sat down, looking out at the ocean.

"Olivia, I can't do this without you. Please come home" I say whilst putting my head in my hands, crying once again. "I need you" I say, my voice cracking with each word. "I fucking need you Liv" I say, hopelessly.