dogs hate Selene as well

Mateo was one of the most serious sons of Apollo. He also knew that he was one of the only demigod son of Apollo who was both good at archery and healing. He also knew that his half-brother was like that as well. So with his talents and years of practice, it was no surprise to anyone that he lived till adulthood. He had gotten a nice job in a hospital nearby, and worked there daily.

Life was good for him and he could almost forget what had happened in his past. Talking about it, thinking about it was hard. But when he met Yelena, the flashbacks wouldn't stop. But his healing senses had saved him, made him forget all the things that he couldn't stop thinking about. 

But that privilege was taken away from him when he found that Yelena had woken up. He knew that she would go, and then he would be left to ponder on his thoughts. Mateo never exactly liked that. Dreams and prophecies and the future were probably the things he despised the most. Prophecies, he had thought they were cool until they ruined his best friend's life. He thought dreams were nice until they showed him the past. And the future, well that was a different story entirely. And Mateo never wanted to get into it.

***

Selene did not regret discretely chucking some cupcake icing on Yelena's face. Especially as Yelena did not notice it. She did however notice something odd when the rest of them started laughing at her face. As Yelena put up her hand to her face, Selene flicked a rubber band accurately on her thousandth try (finally, she's been trying to do it for a whole year) and the rubberband straight up removed the frosting.

So when Yelena found nothing on her face, it was needless to say she looked at Selene who was rolling on the floor with laughter along with her brother. "Fine fine, tease me all you want. I'm getting back at you though." Yelena gave Selene a sharp grin, who grinned back with a sharper grin.

"Fine, but don't think this is the end, Yelena." Camila's eyes widened.

"No, we are not having that. We are going to Virginia and both of you are not doing any pranking till you have packed and nor are you doing any in Virginia. We are going there to explore," Her voice was strict, and she knew that until she stopped a prank war, they were not going to ever find their way to even the airport.

Selene and Yelena pouted but half-heartedly agreed. They ran back to their room, ready to pack and counted down the days to Virginia.

***

Too be frank, Selene could say that she hated closed places. Not that she would say that to anyone, nor did anyone know. So when she had to stay in the aeroplane, her claustrophobia started acting up a bit. She felt a reminder of the day she was losing air, not able to breathe and feeling nausea. That day she'd been stuck in a lift till her skin started losing colour, her breath ran out and she almost fainted.

Her father never thought, not that he was ignorant but they lived in a pretty open place, that she had claustrophobia. And Selene would love to keep it that way. When the plane landed, Selene stumbled but caught herself in time. She swept the concern off though and said that she was perfectly fine.

As they were going to their camping spot, Selene wanted to groan. She was stuck in a car, but thankfully the windows were open and she was feeling a little better. Yelena was cracking jokes and telling stories of dragons to Liam in a very dramatic fashion, which made Selene hide a snigger. Liam was believing everything though. 

He had a look of adoration on his face, innocence displaying through his every feature. He was clinging on to Yelena and bombarding her with questions about all of it. Yelena started getting muddled up and recalling a previous conversation, in which Yelena talked about greek mythology, Selene whispered that to her. Yelena's eyes lit up and she dramatically acted Zeus and if Selene had managed to stop laughing long enough to look at her father, and Camila then she would have seen them stifling a laugh as well.

***

As they sat by the fire, Yelena hugged her jacket closer to her and chewed on her marshmallows. They tasted so good, and she hadn't had them in forever. That might have been because..... Yelena didn't want to think about that. It might not hurt much now, but she still hated them. Breathing in some of the fiery air, Yelena decided to relax and let herself heal. 

Singing a song in Russian, she felt her shoulders relax and continued observing the bright fireflies in the sky. The chilly wind hit her, and she snuggled more into her jacket, putting her feet closer to the fire at the same time. The flames heated her toes, making her itch to put her hands near them too, and so she did.

As much as Yelena hated it, it was obvious that Selene was a demigod. She didn't want to admit it, but someday she would have to tell Selene. Then Yelena had to go back. As much as she tried to delay it, it was getting harder and Yelena would have to go back. Most people would think she was over-exaggerating but she was never trusting. And she held grudges for a long time.

Selene was looking at her and Liam, talking about some prank she had played on a girl in her class who had been horrible to another boy in her class. Yelena let out a short laugh as she heard the prank, but her mind went back to the gods. Letting out a deep sigh, Yelena tried to look cheerful.

***

Selene was never a very suspicious person. But she wasn't oblivious or stupid so when she found that Yelelena wasn't in her sleeping bag after their pillow fight, she sneaked out to find where she was. Selene stepped out of her sleeping bag and silently put her foot on the ground. Not too silently, the ground was covered with dry leaves that cracked at a touch so she made some noise. 

Slowly walking, avoiding making too much noise, and creeped out. Going left, so that she could hide in the trees, Selene crept deeper into the forest. Shadows of the gigantic trees fell on the ground and the cold chilly air wrapped around her. Her breath came out as fog. 

All her courage to find Yelena was swept off her when she found Yelena standing on one side with a gun, and a gigantic dog with red eyes? on the other side. She was shooting and the sound of gunshots was in the air. As the dog stalked closer, Selene was worried for her friend. Yelena just managed to take out a knife before it was hit out of her hand, and Yelena was slammed to the floor.

Selene picked up the knife from where it slid to her and knew that she had to help her friend. Yelena looked over and her eyes widened in panic. She shook her head and started muttering something that was too far away to hear. Suddenly her hands glowed and the dog was thrown away from her. Selene flung the knife to Yelena, feeling slightly (okay very) betrayed and hurt that her friend hid such a big thing from her. But she couldn't let Yelena die.

Yelena snatched it out of the air and stabbed, slashed till the dog- Selene thought it was more of a monster now, dissolved into the dust. Running up to her, Selene motioned around her. "Umm, so you see lene these monsters chase people like you and me. Sit down and I'll tell you about it." Yelena's voice was hesitant, low and without confidence. 

But Selene turned on her, if these monsters were chasing her, that meant her family was getting attacked and she was not having it. She couldn't let them get harmed in any way. And who knew if Yelena would lie again? "Shut up. Just shut up. How do I know you'll tell me the truth?" Selene screamed. "I can't let my family get hurt. I'm leaving" her voice determined, she picked up Yelena's knife (Yelena had a gun to defend herself) and ran. The last thing Selene saw was Yelena getting up and trying to run after her shouting at her that she wasn't going to lie anymore, right before Yelena herself collapsed to the ground.

***

I hope you liked the chapter. And I really didn't know how hard it is to write like 1400 words on your own thoughts. <3