Selene starts to despise birds

Selene tried not to look odd, and she had enough practice of that in school so it was considerably easy. She'd always been able to blend in. But right now, she was dead on her feet and trying to walk was hard enough. But looking like she'd come for a nice morning walk, Selene was just about ready to quit. But she was never a quitter. She wouldn't do that.

She remembered the last time she'd not quit. Selene had planned to decorate the whole house, it was an insane idea but her six-year-old self didn't know that and had started it. At that time, it was Selene's only goal and she wasn't planning on quitting it any time soon. She'd worked long and hard. Camila had come, concerned in the middle of the night to see Selene working her head off in the kitchen.

She'd tried to get Selene to go to sleep but Selene completely disagreed and continued. Thinking of it now, it seemed rude but she had not slept for a whole day and a few more hours so she didn't care. She'd continued decorating and decorating till it was finally over.

That had come as a relief to her as she was dead on her feet (which kind of reminded Selene of her situation now) and had collapsed soon after in her bed (considering she was on the road, Selene furiously hoped that didn't happen). 

Gathering up all the energy she had, Selene brought herself out of her thoughts and focused on the road. Walking casually, she looked around, hoping no monster thing was following her. Apparently, there was nothing except some normal people, so she calmed down her nerves and continued talking.

Finally reaching the closest restaurant, she stumbled to an area where no one seemed to go and fell down. Taking out the dagger, she held it in her hand and tried to do what Yelena seemed to do. But she almost stabbed it into her foot and quickly dropped it. Trying to do it again, this time keeping the dagger away from her leg because Selene did not want injuries along with tiredness, she loosened her grip by accident and the knife slipped out of her hand. Sighing and resting her head against the wall, she groaned in frustration. Clenching her fist, she tried again, and again.

Hearing some bird noises, she looked up and saw a flock of birds, Ignoring them, she tried again. But that soon became hard when they all flew straight towards her, also sending a barrage of feathers towards her. Electing to ignore the feathers, Selene dodged the birds instead. That was a good but not a good choice at the same time. The feathers stung and gave large bruises. Trying to ignore the sting in her leg. She hid behind the biggest trash can there and watched as the trash can quickly became dented and could no longer hold off the barrage of feathers. 

The birds were coming again now, and all Selene could remember doing was picking up her knife and dodging, rolling and ducking whenever she could. She winced in pain as a feather stung her face, too close to her eye for comfort. Thankfully not too close to her previous scar, or else it could have re-opened.

Seeing a bird coming straight at her, she did the exact same thing that Yelena did, hoping that her very short practice could help. She stabbed straight at it and it burst into dust. Selena was shocked that it worked, but not happy. At least the birds weren't attacking her family. On a different thought, one bird down and only a gazillion more to go.

Selene was aching all over by now, and desperately wondering how Yelena could fight those dog things (which were even bigger) off. As a bird came straight at her, Selene held the dagger and stabbed it, it missed, the bird was too far away and the dagger flew off. Well, the dagger clattered to the ground but it was too far away. She dodged and another bird came straight at her. 

Really hoping she had something to attack it with, she wasn't expecting a very sharp-edged star to appear in her hand. Ducking down, getting closer to the dagger, Selene flung the star like a rubber band and was glad for her practice when it hit the mark. Dust showered.

The star and dagger were close to her now, and she picked up the dagger before picking up the star as well. Holding the star in her left hand and the dagger in the other, Selene felt a rush of adrenaline and dodged another barrage of attacks. She chucked the star again, and it sliced through another bird. 

The birds on the left were the most defenceless, as they seemed to not be able to shoot too many feather-like arrows. Deciding to attack them first, so that the number could be lesser, Selene went to the left, stabbed her dagger and chucked the star. Two more birds died. 

But she certainly didn't expect a feather straight at her arm, causing it to bleed furiously. Muttering curses under her breath, which became more profound as she felt some of her adrenaline fade away, making her realise how many bruises she had, along with her tiredness. Feebly stabbing at a bird, rolling very slowly, she felt more feathers attack her than ever and she fell to the ground just as a feather narrowly missed her leg.

As the birds narrowed closer, Selene clutched her ears as she heard a loud gunshot. A bang and more gunshots later, the whole place smelled of gunpowder. Someone in a shadow was moving her arms and muttering some words. The birds burnt up and the whole place now smelt of dirt, blood, gunpowder and ashes which made her cough furiously. It was hard to see, as the dust covered the air thickly but she could make out long hair and Yelena's familiar face.

Yelena muttered, "I'm always saving your ass," but held up her hand to Selene anyways.

***

Yelena was running out of her mind with worry, searching for Selene. After stumbling out of the forest, feeling a little better than she was before since her injuries had healed pretty well, Yelena had started walking straight to the restaurant.  Seeing some sort of commotion in an abandoned street, she had taken out her pistol and walked forwards.

Seeing some birds that did not seem friendly, Yelena fired. She fired more but there were too many. They were aiming at her. Scowling, she chanted a spell under her breath, held out her hands and the next second, they exploded into flames. Coughing due to the ashes, she moved forwards and needless to say, was surprised to see Selene holding a star (how did she get that?) and a dagger. 

"I'm always saving your ass," not that she was annoyed, and Yelena reached her hand out to Selene to prove it. Selene refused, however, glaring furiously at her, which was not exactly effective coming from a nine-year-old, and Selene started getting up herself. There were gashes and bruises on her and Yelena took out the flask of nectar.

Selene was still stubborn and refused it. Practically forcing her to drink it, Yelena wasn't surprised when she saw Selene narrowing her eyes at the drink. But at least Selene didn't spit it out.

Selene's look of confusion when her injuries started healing was funny. Yelena then tore off a piece of Ambrosia and handed it to her. Selene reluctantly took it and this time she wasn't surprised. Or she was hiding it.

"I'm sorry Selen-" Yelena was abruptly cut off.

"I'm sorry?" Selene's voice was angry. "You lied to me. You never told me my family could get hurt. YOU could have gotten hurt and you never told me. I could have helped you. I can apparently conjure stars out of nowhere. I could have helped." Her voice cracked. "Yet you lied. You lied to me, it could have cost your life. Think about me, and how I would have felt. I just-" She cut off and stormed off. 

Yelena had started feeling guiltier, and selfish by the end, but she'd never ever meant to hurt Selene. She'd never meant to get closer to her. Or fond of her, but Yelena had and that was what hurt Selene. Yelena walked after Selene, hoping to protect the only family and the only person she had trusted. She shouted apologies but Selene didn't even look back.

Yelena finally caught up with the anger full Selene and put her hand on her shoulder. "I'm really sorry. I didn't mean to hurt-"

"Shut up and go away, I can handle myself." Yelena would have normally said 'like you just did' but their friendship was crumbling and she didn't want to push it further.

"Well, I didn't ask for permission and I'm just going my own way," Yelena said offhandedly, knowing that Selene would normally grin at that. Yelena was rewarded with a small smile and a huff. 

As they headed to the closest restaurant, called 'Cafe Saligna' the closest restaurant to the Cumberland State Forest, Yelena could feel Selene's glare burning into her neck. Yelena winced, hoping they could repair their friendship.

If you think that I shouldn't change the point of view and you don't like it please tell me. 
Comments and Votes are appreciated.
Thanks,
aWeirdoGemini