~Chapter Five~

"Get out

     "Get out. I'm getting so tired of you thinking you can just push me around and hit me whenever you feel like it." My mom and dad were arguing again.

     Mom always had bruises on her from somewhere. I can't tell you from where, and she won't say from where. But I knew they were from Dad. They would fight and then they'd be there. He made it a point to show everyone who was boss. He would never put his hands on me or Ella, my little sister who is now 12 (me and her are 5 years apart), but he always yelled at us for stupid reasons.

     I think it's a control thing. He has to feel like he's in control and has to make sure that we all know that. I tried to run away one time, and he caught me. He told me that I was an ungrateful... Well you can only imagine what he said to me. But I'll leave it at that.

     "I will not be leaving this house, if anyone is leaving, it'll be you." He would never let her leave. She would have to get a restraining order and a divorce with him before that ever happened.

     I hear a knock at the door and the house grows completely quite. 5 minutes later, my mom was calling me.

     "Sweetheart, someone is here for you." I'm confused. Who could be here to see me?

     I ran downstairs and Anthony was standing in the door. That was the last person I was expecting to see.

     "What do you want?" I looked at him with no emotion on my face and he looked at me with sadness written all over his face.

     "Let me talk to my daughter just a second Anthony, and then I'll send her out there to you. I promise." He smiled at my mom.

     "Okay Mrs. Sanderson." He turned and walked back outside.

     "Sweetheart. I know that you have been miserable since you and Anthony started fighting. It's been three weeks and you don't even come out of your room anymore baby. I hate it. You eat up there even. Just go talk to him love." She had concern all over her face and I felt bad for making her worry about me. I should be the last thing she has to worry about.

     I walk outside to see Anthony leaning against his car, looking at his phone. He has an angry expression on his face and I start to prepare for whatever he's going to say next. I walk over to him and he pulls me into a huge hug. At first I'm shocked and he goes to pull away, sensing my hesitancy. but before he can pull away, I hug him back. We stay that way for a bit and then he finally pulls away.

     "I'm so sorry Elaine. I should have never believed Katie. I found out the truth and I feel terrible. The truth is, I couldn't see past her lies and that made me blind. I don't know why I ever thought my best friend would lie to me about that. The fact that you endured that for so long is horrible and I feel so bad for not seeing it sooner. I hope you can find it in your heart to forgive me." I sat there awe struck. I'm so glad I have my best friend back.

     Instead of answered, I jumped at him. He caught me and spun me around while I clung onto his neck. I had my best friend back. Not only that, but he believes me. He put me down and I finally found the correct response.

     "Thank you for believing me. I never told you because I didn't know if you would believe me. That and I didn't want to come between you and Katie." I smiled weakly at him and he shook his head.

     "You should have just told me when we were first together. It would have saved us all this trouble. And not to worry. You don't have to deal with that anymore. I dumped her." I looked at him with wide eyes. The perfect couple was no more? This would be the talk of the school for sure come tomorrow afternoon once everyone finds out.

     "You really dumped her?"

     "Yeah. I couldn't have her terrorizing my best friend." Best friend. Yeah. That's it.

     I couldn't help but be disappointed that he only saw me as his best friend. But hey. Baby steps. Maybe he'll find out how I truly feel about him someday soon.

     "Thank you." I hugged him one more time and then we said good night.

     He said he was going to make it up to me this weekend and that I should pack  a bathing suite. But he promised me we wouldn't be going to the beach. So I was okay with that.