Chapter 6 - The Path It Leads

I can no longer stay here. I am sure to meet that Emperor if I stay with the troupe. How far should I even go without crossing paths with that tyrant? I won't stand idly by as fate decides to bring our strings close to each other. I can simply go the opposite way; tomorrow, I will head elsewhere away from that castle.

"Diana, you seem to be so deep in your thought since the announcement." Eliza looks well now. Her face has yet to have that usual glint of happiness, but at least her body has slowly healed.

"I am sorry, I have just been thinking of where to go next." it is best to be honest with her.

"I see... so you won't be joining us?" her dejected look has sunk my heart. I am sorry, my dear friend, but I am fighting against destiny right now.

"I believe so." how else can I explain it? My soul has leapt through this world, and I know I am headed to my and my daughter's impending doom. "I have my reasons; I want to explore the north..." my answer seems not to convince her. "I was told snow looked like clouds falling from the sky." I hope this smile will hide my fear.

Eliza did not believe a word I said but simply accepted it; she knows I have my reasons for lying... well, at least that is what I hope.

"As gratitude, you wouldn't have to dance on my behalf." she stretched her body. "Thanks to you, I am feeling well and ready to dance again." For a week, she has been confined to her bed. Raul, a loyal man, has not missed a day to visit her, compared to that disgusting pig Hiego who never even bothered to know how she was doing.

"This is where I expect you to be, Eliza!" his stare feels so malicious it makes me sick. "I won't be seeing the greatest dancer today, huh?"

"No more Hiego," she blocked his view of me. "I can go back to performing now-"

"It is no matter. I will see you at the royal banquet anyway."

he interrupted Eliza. "No dancer would pass up an opportunity to what is practically a gold mine-"

"This is where we part ways." how dare you interrupt Eliza, you pig.

"What... what do you mean?" It was not a question meant to ask my intention, but it was a sarcastic way of questioning my decision. "You can't do that..."

"I can," I replied before he could even finish that sentence. "I can, and I will."

Without any indications, he pulled Eliza's hair down so hard she let out a shriek.

"What are you doing?" my stare pierced back at him like a dagger.

"You wouldn't leave her now, will you?" he pulled it lower. This pig, you are lucky to be alive right now. If it weren't for Eliza and her daughter, I would have stabbed you multiple times.

"Diana, please don't do it for me- AH!"

This man is testing my patience. Pull that one more time-

"AHHHHH!"

"I GET IT!" I attempted to separate his hand from her hair. "I get it, so stop." I pulled his hand slowly. "I will stay until the banquet is over." I squeezed out my voice.

"That's a good girl," Hiego smirked and dropped his grip on Eliza's hair. One day I will get my revenge on him.

On the way to the capital, rumours about the new Emperor have started to surface among his people; and made their way to the ears of the troupe members. The story of the new Emperor usurping the throne from his lustful and corrupt brother has generally been great news for his citizens. Although strong, the Obelian Empire has suffered poverty since the young Emperor has ascended the throne. The citizens believe that it is for his people that the new Emperor decided to kill his brother. However, treachery is a high offence crime even for royals; but no aristocrat was confident enough to question Emperor Claude.