nine

(Flashback and normal thoughts are in italics, btw)

"Y/nnnn! Waitttttttt!!" A voice calls irritatingly from down the hall, you recognise it immediately as Monoma Nieto's. 

You sigh and turn to look at the blonde haired idiot running towards you dramatically, unfortunately drawing the attention of the whole corridor with him. When he reaches you, he doubles over panting.

"You're rather unfit for a hero in training, Neito." You comment, looking at him and trying your hardest not to laugh. He holds up his finger and flips you off, you chuckle lightly. 

Once Neito's regained his composure, he stands up straight again and places a hand on your shoulder.

"One, shut up, you're just weirdly fit. Two, Kendo and Tetsutetsu want to know if you'll have lunch with us again?" You can tell Neito's lying. It's quite obvious that he's just using Kendo and Tetsutetsu as an excuse for you to have lunch with him. 

You give a small smile, he didn't need to lie to get you to hang out with him, after all, he is your middle school bestie.

"Sure, I'll see you at lunch, but if you don't go now you'll be late for class." You giggle, he glances at his watch, swears and runs off again. You laugh as you watch him go, he really hasn't changed at all. 

You smile and continue your way to class.

"Y/n! Hurry up!! I'm sooooo hungryyyyy!!" Mina-san's voice whines from the doorway to the classroom. 

You chuckle, you had completely forgotten to mention you were having lunch with Neito, she'll probably complain about it now.

"I'm having lunch with Monoma, go on ahead, I heard they're serving your favourite today." You comment, quickly trying to distract her with the idea of being served her favourite lunch. 

She gives you an annoyed look, glances towards the lunch hall, back at you, then darts away to catch up with the rest of the Bakusquad. 

You laugh to yourself; she's so gullible, the crazy pink alien, you think. 

After a moment, you exit the classroom and make your way to the lunch hall, you make sure you're not seen by Mina-san as you walk over to Neito's table. 

Once you've got your food you settle down next to Neito and begin eating.

"So, L/n-chan, you said you met Monoma in middle school, what was he like back then?" Tetsutetsu asks curiously. You look up and offer a small smile.

"Exactly the same, you'd think he'd mature as he ages like the rest of us, but apparently not." Tetsutetsu laughs at your answer. Nieto complains about it. You smile happily.

"I'm surprised actually, how did this idiot manage to befriend an angel like you, L/n-san?" Kendo-san jokes. 

You laugh, brushing off the complement as a joke.

"Honestly, I'm pretty sure it's only because I helped him on our maths test and he began to suck up to me so I'd give him all the answers." You chuckle at the surfacing memories.

"Stop looking at my answers, idiot." You hiss to the blonde boy next to you. He looks up suddenly, startled that you'd caught him. 

He looks away, blushing out of embarrassment. The corners of your mouth twitch up, you're secretly kind of impressed that he managed to cheat so subtly – he doesn't seem like the kind of boy that would be able to cheat that well. 

You sigh, you elbow him lightly and continue working, though you make sure he can copy you easily. You can feel the boy's gaze on you, then it disappears and you hear the sound of pencil on paper again.

"Thanks." His voice whispers softly. 

That decision right there, was one you did not know you would regret until the next few days.

"L/n-san! You look really pretty today!" Monoma's voice chirps as you sit down next to him. You deadpan at him side-long. You look at him in confusion, you hadn't done anything special with your looks today, had you looked bad yesterday or something?

"I- don't understand. Is something different from yesterday?" You ask, completely lost. You could practically see him sweatdrop.

"No, I don't think so. I was just saying- you know what, never mind." He sighs and stares at the table. You shrug it off as a misunderstanding and wait for class to begin. 

"I like your hair L/n-san! Did you style it today?" Monoma inquires curiously. You tilt your head, you hadn't really done much, just a simple french-braid since you'd had extra time this morning.

"Um, yeah, I guess. Thanks?" You try not to sound unsure, but fail completely. You can't help but feel like there's something Monoma's not telling you. 

Is there some kind of joke you're not getting? 

You fall into deep thought, why would this boy be so nice to you when you had just met? Was it because you helped him with the maths test? Yes, it must be. 

You look up as the teacher walks in. 

"L/n-san, would you like to sit with me at lunch today?" You hear Monoma ask as he takes his seat next to you. You look up from your book, what was this all about?

"Ok? Thank you for the offer, that would be nice." You add, unsure of what else to say. He smiles happily. 

"L/n-san, have lunch with me again!" Monoma seems to really appreciate my help on the maths test, it's already been four days. Why was he still being nice to you?

Wait. Oh. Nevermind, he's not thankful, he's just sucking up to me. That's when you realised.

"Could you please stop sucking up to me, Monoma-kun." You deadpan. He looks at you with surprise. 

Really, how dumb does he think you are? It shouldn't have even taken you four days to figure it out.

"Wow, you're actually pretty impressive." Monoma's tone changes completely from the cheerful one you're used to hearing, to a mischievous and humorous one. 

You hum to yourself, now this Monoma you could get along with.

"Why thank you, kind sir. It's a pleasure to meet a non-fake version of you." You tease. He stifles a laugh, you grin.

And from that point on, you and Monoma Neito became inseperable throughout the rest of your time at middle school.

"Y/n? You good there?" Neito hums questioningly. 

You look up from your food, realising you'd been spacing out. 

Your cheeks heat from embarrassment. You stammer an apology. 

He laughs at you. 

You swat the back of his head playfully. 

He spills his soup. 

You laugh at him.