'The Phantom Chef'

“I overslept!” 

I shoot up awake. What the hell is going on? Rubbing my eyes, I walk over to the door of my dorm and peer out of the door. 

Just in time to see Rin running through the halls, panicking and aggressively trying to get changed. That only means one thing. He’s late.

Ha, sucks to suck sucker.

Imagine being late to school-

Wait... We go to the same school, so if he’s late, then I am too. 

Shit.

Suddenly I’m wide awake and sprinting to my wardrobe, pulling out my uniform and yanking it on. No time for a shower today.

I quickly brush my hair and teeth, before racing out of the dorm and to class. I have an exam today!

~~~~~~~

Phew- I’m glad that’s over. 

I sat back in my chair as I finished my exam. I don’t want to repeat that ever again. I have an excellent memory but exams like this, make me want to commit scuba dive.

They are so tedious.

I look around and see a bunch of other kids close to tears. Yeah, that seems right.

The bell rang finally and I handed my exam back with the rest of the kids before making my way to the lunch hall. 

Don’t get me wrong, I can’t afford any of it, but I meet up with Rin and Yukio there.

I walk into the hall and see Rin freaking out and Yukio grabbing hold of him.

“Eh? What’s going on?” I ask some girl standing nearby. She just shrugs, looking increasingly worried with the scene. 

I walk over to them and tap on Yukio’s shoulder. They both pause and look at me.

“What are you guys doing?” I ask, tilting my head.

“These rich kids’ lunches are way too much money!” Rin shouts out, well, that’s embarrassing. No need to tell the whole school we are poor compared to them. Jeez.

“Why don’t you just ask Mephisto to lower the prices or something?” I ask them, confused on why they haven’t yet. That seems like the most obvious choice. 

Maybe an allowance instead. 

“Good idea, Akito.” Yukio says, seeming surprised that I have smart thoughts.

Yeah, suck on that Yukio. Stupid twot.

~~~~~~~

“Lower the prices in the student cafeteria? I’m afraid that won’t be possible. To provide first-rate cuisine, we purchase first-rate ingredients and hire first-rate chefs, you see.”  Mephisto speaks, sitting at his desk with his hands clasped under his chin.

We had made our way to Mephisto’s office and I had sprawled myself over one of his chairs. My head leaning over one of the sides, with my legs leaning over the other.

Rin and Yukio were standing awkwardly behind me, facing his desk.

“Well, the student cafeteria doesn’t need to be first-rate, does it?” Rin asks. I get what he’s saying but like, the people in this school are those rich kids who are used to having top-notch chefs cooking for them everyday for every meal.

“Dining is culture. One’s life is enriched by experiencing first-rate cuisine.” Said the man who then proceeded to eat a pot of instant-ramen. That’s just not right. I love instant-ramen but homie, you can’t have a speech like that then eat them.