Lost

Draco sobbed in a deserted alleyway. His body racked with hunger and tiredness, but he wouldn't sleep. Draco was lost. He ran away from his parents and everyone he knew. He ran away from his old life. He couldn't be there anymore. He didn't want to be Draco Malfoy anymore. 

A girl walked down the street. She wiped her tears that had fallen from her cheeks. He just wasn't the right one, she thought. Her boyfriend, Ron Weasley, had just broken up with her and told her that they had been better off as friends. Maybe that was true. Maybe he had been seeing someone else.

Hermione told herself to shut down those thoughts because those were just theories. She didn't actually know the real reason why she had been broken up with. 

Suddenly, Hermione heard sobs that weren't her own. Her footsteps slowed down against the pavement as she looked down the alleyway she heard sobs from.

No, it couldn't be..., she thought. There was no way that could be Draco Malfoy in an alleyway sobbing.

Hermione took a deep breath and walked over to him. "Malfoy, are you alright?" she hesitantly asked him. 

Draco looked up in shock, immediately knowing whose voice that belonged to. "Granger," he breathed. 

"Surprise," she said with a small laugh. She sat down next to him. "Are you alright?" 

"Why do you care? I've been nothing but mean to you," he said bitterly.

"You're crying...you just looked like you needed someone," she said while resting her hand on his shoulder. 

"I don't belong here, Granger. I can't do this anymore. I don't want to do it anymore. I'm lost. And I don't know how to be found. I don't even know if I want to be found." Draco said before his body racked with sobs again. His stomach growled and his eyes threatened to close. 

"Draco, you need to eat. And sleep. Come on. We're going to my apartment in America. Once you feel alright to be back on your feet, then we'll talk." Hermione helped Malfoy stand up. 

He nearly collapsed when he attempted to stand on his own. Hermione held onto Draco tight as she turned on the spot. 

Draco opened his eyes to a blinding light. The sun basked him, but that made him even more tired. Hermione walked into the apartment with Draco still in her arms. 

"Alohomora," she whispered, making the door open. She walked with Draco into the small apartment. She walked him into the guest room and laid him down. 

"Now, sleep. And when you wake up, you'll eat. Then we'll talk," she told him. She pulled the blankets over his body and let him fall into a deep sleep.

Draco woke up in the middle of his sleep to a nightmare. It was the same nightmare that haunted him every night and that's why he hasn't let himself sleep. The one of Hermione being tortured by his crazy aunt. It haunted him every night while he slept. Draco decided that he couldn't go back to sleep, he got up and walked out of the room. 

Hermione was sitting on the couch with Crookshanks on her lap. She was reading peacefully.

Draco smiled as she continued to read without noticing him. "Thanks for letting me stay here," he started. 

Hermione looked up at him and smiled. "Of course!" she said. "I also went out to buy you some new clothes. So, you can shower in that room," she pointed to a door. "And you can change. Unless, you'd like to eat first?" 

"I'll shower. And thank you very much for the clothes. Nobody has ever been this nice to me," he said, forcing the tears that he had to stay. 

Hermione stood up and hugged him tight. "You deserve it, Draco. Tell yourself that. You deserve this. You deserve to live here. You deserve the best," Hermione pulled away from the hug.

Draco wanted to kiss her. Not because of the words she said, but because of her. Just being in her presence gave him butterflies. He wanted to stay with her forever. For her to hug him forever. For him to be able to hold her in his arms as she falls asleep every night. But that couldn't happen. Not after what happened during the war. Or what happened in the past years when he bullied her. She couldn't possibly love him back.

***

Hermione walked into the kitchen and took a deep breath. She was falling for Draco Malfoy. Draco freakin Malfoy. What would Harry say? Probably wouldn't say anything. He'd send her to a mental hospital.

Hermione had a sudden urge to kiss him. To hold him, and to thumb his tears away and say that everything was going to be okay. But she couldn't do that. She couldn't. Or maybe she could. Maybe he could possibly love her back. Maybe.

She knew she was never going to get another chance like this in her life, so she decided to act on her instincts and feelings. 

Draco looked up to see Hermione walking back in the room with a bowl of oatmeal and a glass of pumpkin juice. 

She sat the tray down in front of him. He noticed she was shaking. Like she was nervous. 

"We'll go buy you some more clothes after you finish your food," she said.

Draco nodded and started to eat. Oh, how he forgot what food tasted like. He'd been starving himself as a punishment and he couldn't do it any longer. The oatmeal Hermione made for him was the best thing in the world.

Draco finished the rest of his meal and him and Hermione were ready to go shopping for clothes. Hermione held out her hand, motioning for him to take it. They both turned on the spot and a store came into view. It had Christmas lights strung all over the entrance. 

Draco smiled. He could see why Hermione loved this store so much. Draco didn't let go of her hand and neither did she. 

"Whatever you like, get it. Don't worry about the price or anything," she told him before letting go of his hand and going to talk to the cashier, which was none other than Luna Lovegood. 

He looked around the store and when he was finished he came up to Hermione informing her he was finished. 

"You only have three shirts and one pair of pants. Did you not see anything else that you like?" she asked him. "We can go to other stores," she said.

"No, that's okay. I just don't want you spending tons of money on me," he said, looking down and feeling guilty. 

She lifted up his chin, forcing him to look in her chocolate brown eyes. 

"Draco, I care about you. I'll just get whatever." And with that she walked into the back grabbed all the clothes she could fit in her hands. 

They walked out of the store with two big bags full of clothes for Draco. 

"Thank you," he said. 

Hermione smiled and nodded. Draco noticed that Hermione seemed a little fidgety. He was getting worried. What was wrong? 

"Draco... I have something to tell you," she said, her shaking increasing more. 

Draco took her hands and massaged them to try and calm her and soothe her shaking.
"Yes?" 

"I like you. A lot. No, not like. I love you very much. And I love you in more than a friend way. You make me feel whole. My heart was broken and I was trying to pick up the pieces. Then I found you in the alleyway. When we hugged, I felt my heart healed. I love you, Draco! And I know you don't love me, but-"

Hermione was cut off by Draco's lips crashing down on hers. She kissed back immediately. 

She loved the way his lips felt on hers. Or the way he ran his fingers through her hair, and then would cup her face. She loved the feel of his hair in her hands. She wrapped her arms around Draco's waist and pulled away, looking up.

"I love you, too, Hermione. A lot." He said with a smile that was brighter than the sun.