Field Trip

*muggle au; takes place in New York City, United States

Draco pressed his head against the cold glass of the bus. He had told his parents not to waste their money on this stupid field trip to New York. 

"Come on, Draco. We have to get off the bus." Pansy said, pulling on his arm. 

He sighed and got up to follow her off the bus. He looked up and saw a tall building, full of windows. 

"A-Are we going up there?" Draco asked, hoping she didn't notice his stutter.

"Yeah, why?" 

Draco gulped. "No reason." 

"Is something wrong?" She asked. 

"No." Yes, there was something very wrong. Draco was scared of heights. It didn't help that the building was full of windows.

The professor led them to the building and led them up the stairs. Draco shoved his hands into his pockets to keep them from shaking. 

Finally, the group got to the very top. Draco stayed towards the middle of the room, avoiding going near the windows. He heard sniffing, and turned around. 

A girl was brown, bushy hair was sitting in the middle of the floor, her head between her legs, and she was breathing hard. 

Draco went over to her and knelt down. "Hey, are you okay?" 

The girl lifted her head up, and wiped her nose. "Y-Yeah, I'm okay. Not really a fan of heights." 

Draco sat in front of her. "Neither am I. Want to go down to a lower level?" 

"Are we allowed to do that?" 

Draco shrugged. "Probably."

"Okay, yeah, that sounds good." 

Draco helped her stand up. She was pale, and stumbled a couple of times before getting her footing right. 

Draco held her arm down the stairs, just in case so she wouldn't fall. 

"What's your name?" She asked him, once her footing was a bit better and she could look at him. 

"Draco. Yours?" 

"Hermione."

"You go to Hogwarts?" 

She nodded. Her face was starting to gain some color. 

"What happened to your friends?" 

Tears filled her eyes. "I don't know. They told me they'd stay with me, but the second we got to the top, they disappeared." 

"Oh. I'm sorry." Draco turned his head and saw a bakery. "Want something?" 

She nodded, and together they walked over. 

"What can I get you?" The cashier asked them. 

"Cheesecake, please." Hermione said. 

"Nothing for me," Draco pulled out his wallet. 

"No! You're not paying for me!" Hermione yelped. 

Draco rolled his eyes. "Uh, yeah, I am."

Draco handed the cashier a $5 bill. 

She glared at him. 

"I believe the proper thing you should do is thank me." 

"I had money," she grumbled. 

Draco took her cheesecake and they sat down. 

"Thanks, though." She said, taking her cheesecake from his hands.