Chapter 4

Lily's POV

I walked into history class early and saw Eli sitting in the front of the class. His hair was messily gelled backward making him look extra charming. I gave him a small smile and he motioned me over to sit with him but I walked to the back of the class. I hate sitting in the front of the room. The teacher, Mr. Shostak, watches me as I move to the back of the classroom. He is new to the school this year, when he first came to Grand Mountain High everyone was talking about him. He's incredibly handsome.  

As the bell rang students came rushing in moving to their seats.

"Alright everyone, do you all remember the project I talked about last time? We are going to get started on it today."

The class collectively groaned. I knew we would have to do it in groups, which made me nervous. Talking to people, making friends, letting people break down my walls is not something I do.  

"Here are the groups," Mr. Shostak continued, "Justin and Sam, Emma and Thomas, Patrick and Ryan, Lea and Ava, Jake and Catherine, Jim and Alyssa, Lily and Oliver," I drowned out the rest  when he said my name. And Oliver's. Oliver and I's. God, what a nightmare. I bit my lip anxiously and headed over to his seat.

"Hey Lils," he said with a smirk. His eyes glinted as he looked up at me. 

"Um, hi. So let's start I guess." I looked over to see Eli staring at me. I pulled out my phone and opened Snapchat. 

Me: Stop staring

Eli: I'm not :)

"Who are you texting," Oliver said leaning over to see. 

"Um, Eli," I said without thinking. 

"Who's Eli?" he said with a confused look on his face.

 "Really? You don't know who Eli is. Whatever." What a jerk. Popular people are oblivious to anyone who isn't 'cool'.  

We began our project and he was surprisingly easy to work with. 

"Hey," he said randomly with his brows creased "what happened?"

"What?"

"You've got a nasty bruise right here," he said pointing to his nose. 

I quickly covered my nose with my hand and dropped my head, allowing my hair to shield my face.

"I have to go to the washroom," I mumbled while standing up.

"Lils, wait," he grabbed my hand and for a second I couldn't think. All I could focus on was his calloused fingers delicately touching my hand. "What happened?"

"Huh?" I squeaked taking myself out of the trance. "I-I'm fine. I don't know what happened I'm gonna go to the bathroom to check it out," I lied. 

"Okay..." I could tell he didn't believe me.

We both looked down at our hands, still touching. I looked up a bit and so did he. Our eyes locked. I pulled my hand away but continued to look at him through my eyelashes. My cheeks heated up and I felt like I was melting as I walked up to the front of the class, glancing back at Oliver.

"Excuse me, Mr. Shostak? Could I use the washroom please," I ask the teacher.

"Of course Lily," he says while smiling.

I rushed out of the class and into the washroom. Sure enough, the makeup covering the bruise had faded leaving it fully visible. 

Muttering curses under my breath, I pulled the foundation out of my bag and reapplied it using my hand.

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

When I returned from the bathroom Oliver and I continued our project from where we left off. The bell loudly rang and I jumped in my seat. I don't like loud noises. 

"Lily, could you please come and see me," Mr. Shostak called.

My head immediately thought up the worst possible situation as to why he could be asking to see me but I calmly replied, "Yes."

Once everyone had left the classroom he began talking.

"Lily it seems that you aren't doing so well in my class and need some help."

"But-" I began before he cut me off.

"There's nothing to be ashamed of Lily, you appear to be a very bright student. You just need some extra help. I would like to set up a tutor to help you."

"Oh. If that's going to bring my grade up then I guess ," I said weakly.

"Great! I'll let you know once I've found someone."  

"Okay. Thanks," I said before grabbing my bag and heading out the door. I left the classroom and walked through the empty hallways loving the silence.

"What an awful day it has been," I mumbled while pushing open the door to the outside and the chilly autumn air, I dreaded going home. 

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡