Chapter 5

Lily POV 

Turning my key, I unlocked the door to my home.  

"Dad?" I called out, hoping he'd passed out on the couch. I walked into the living room to find him sleeping with a beer bottle in his hand and others thrown across the floor. I looked at him and everything he's ever done to me flashed through my head. He looked so peaceful in his sleep, while I stood here scared.

I decided to make myself some dinner but I didn't want to put in much effort and we didn't have anything so I just made Macaroni. 

After boiling the water for a few minutes I opened the package and poured the noodles into the boiling water. As I set down the package my wrist brushed against the edge of the pot. The burning feeling rushed up my arm. I winced at the pain and instantly ran over to the sink and turned on the water. I slid my wrist under the chill water and held it for a few seconds until I heard a sizzling noise coming from behind me. SHOOT.

I immediately ran over to the overflowing pot and swiftly moved it to the opposite burner. The blazing hot water splashed on the place where I had already been burnt and dripped down the side of the old, torn counter. I turned off the burner and grabbed a cloth to wipe the mess up. I then held my arm under the cold water for a few more seconds until my wrist felt a bit better. I poured the (now) cooled-down water out of the pot leaving some for the sauce and ripped open the paper packet of the cheesy powder letting it spill into the pot. I slid open the utensil drawer and took out a big spoon.

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡

After finishing the meal, I washed the dishes then ran upstairs and turned on the bright light only to be met with Eli's familiar eyes. 'Why is he always showing up in my bedroom?' I thought. I walked over to him and he pulled me into a warm, soft hug. I didn't move for a second, in shock and fear, but eventually lifted my arms and hugged him back. After a minute or so he pulled back and said, "What took you so long?" I looked up at him and he stared down. His eyes burned right through mine. I walked over to my bed and sat down but his eyes lingered around the room. 

"What are you doing here?" 

"I thought we could hang out. Do you want to go to the gas station and get something to eat?" He said with a smirk on his face. 

"Um o-okay," I said nervously forgetting about the weirdness of this situation. 

He walked up to me and grabbed my hand. He gently pulled me over to the door and put his hand on the handle, as he was about to turn it I grabbed his hand and slightly dragged him over to the window. 

 "Let's go this way," I said anxiously. 

"Why?" he said with a puzzled look on his face. 

" I-I. It's more fun..." I said. 

 As I opened the window I shivered, the icy air hitting my face. He let go of my hand and looked down, "What happened to your arm?" 

"Oh, nothing just spilled some hot water on it," I said stressed. It was clear he didn't believe me even though I was telling the truth. This time I didn't have anything to hide. 

We walked to the gas station in a comfortable silence, sneaking glances at each other. I didn't know what it was about him, just something mysterious and beautiful in the way he is.

When we got to the convenience store we got some chips and sat on the curb looking up at the stars in the night sky. Eli pulled out a lighter and pack of cigarettes from his pocket.

"Want one?"

"Oh, no, I don't smoke. Where did you get those anyway?"

"Doesn't matter. Just try one." I thought about it for a second. Should I? " C'mon Lily, do something fun. Take a risk."

"Okay, fine." Tentatively I held my hand out and he passed one to me. 

We sat there for a while and I felt free. It was weird at first but I liked it. 

Eli looked down at his lap and sighed. 

"Eli? Are you okay?" 

"Ya. No, actually I'm not,"

"What's wrong,"

"I was just thinking about.... my little sister died when I was 10, I was supposed to be watching her. She drowned in the lake by my house. I hadn't even noticed until it was too late. Ever since then my parents have blamed me. That's when I started doing things like smoking."

"E-Eli, its not your fault, you were only a kid," I said sympathetic.

Eli gazed at me, leaned down, and put his lips on mine, I sat there confused at what was happening, with my eyes open, until he pulled away. 

"Oh, um sorry.." he said sounding disappointed. I looked away, blushing furiously. Did he just kiss me? I looked back up at him. 

"I gotta get home," I said giggling. 

♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡♡