chapitre un

FAKE SMILE, HIGH heels and an elegant satin gown adorned the lovely figure of the young Colette Blanchet. It was occasions like this semi formal event where all eyes were on the true heiress of the wealthy Blanchet empire native to Monaco. Scandals were rumoured, hearsay trailed the girl like a ghost, and the latest gossip followed her every move: one step out of line and she was done for.

Colette's angelic smile, however, graced the gallery and every negative comment towards her seem to dissolve with the arrival of her elegant presence. The way she carried herself with her head held high, confidence in her stride, and decisiveness in all her movements. Many would call her the golden girl of Monaco, expecting nothing but greatness of the brunette girl.

The driver had stopped the Mercedes in front of the famous Monte-Carlo Casino that was currently closed off for wandering tourists, and prosperous individuals who enjoyed to waste their money to the gambling establishment, for one of the grandest evenings of the year in Monaco.

Although she was not as interesting, or important, like other invited guests, the paparazzi in front of the entrance immediately jumped at the chance of photographing the golden girl in her new luxury fashion. Questions were thrown at her left and right to which she simply avoided to answer anything as she was distracted by the blinding lights.

       Carefully, but somehow elegantly, she crossed the photographers and walked up the stairs without breaking an ankle on the dubious heels. In the reception hall she nodded at the administrator who instantly recognised her amiable, heart shaped face. Her stride continued as she made her way to the marble stairs that overlooked the spacious room that was usually filled with slot machines and tables.

At the end of the stairs she saw a familiar face watching her dominate the floor with her attentive gaze, a lazy grin forming on his lips as she smoothly travelled down the stairs to join him.

"Dieu merci that you enjoy attention and willingly came to this circus." Colette said in a low tone, a feigned smile still plastered to her face as she tried to move her red-coated lips as little as possible so observant eyes could not make out her blunt words.

"Lovely entrance as always, Coco." He snickered softly as he had waited at the end of the stairs for her arrival, an arm outstretched for her to support her delicate figure. As Colette's dear friend, Fabian was used to her disinclination and lack of enthusiasm regarding her presence as a socialite and happily helped her out, receiving free alcohol in return.

"What can I say, it's one of my many gifts." Colette nodded her head sincerely, her voluminous blowout bouncing along whilst it shone under the warm, dimmed lights.

"Right, that on the list with drinking excessively, changing your study after each term because you're indecisive, and upsetting your stepmother." Fabian jokingly counted his examples on his fingers as he knew his friend would roll her eyes.

"Sounds decent to me." Colette raised her dark eyebrows with a shrug, indifference to her lesser qualities as they reached the long bar.

"Two vodka martinis, s'il vous plaît." He nodded his head to the bartender who attended to his order right away, two martini glasses appearing in front of the two as the mixologist worked his magic with their drinks.

"Merci." Colette send the man behind the bar a grateful smile whilst she gracefully took the glass in her hand. The two friends turned their backs to the bar top, leaning on it for comfort as they slowly took small sips from the alcoholic drink. "Did you talk to Pierre yet?" She questioned about their mutual friend.

"No, hadn't had the chance to see him," Fabian shook his head, swiftly placing his glass down behind him as his eyes swept the floor. "But mustn't he be somewhere here?"

"I suppose." Colette admitted, letting her eyes glide over the mass of people as well. After several minutes she ended her search due to failure, but noticed Fabian still watching the people around him intently. "Who are you expecting to show up?" The girl raised a questioning eyebrow as she intently gazed at him, forcing an answer out of him.

"No one." Fabian shook his head with a cough. He felt the shorter girl eyeing him suspiciously, never in a million years believing his words. "None of your business." He looked back sternly as he took his martini glass in his right hand again and swigged the last gulp in one go.

"Now you've made me even more curious." A devilish spark formed in Colette's dark eyes as she was not used to her close friend keeping information from her. Then and there Fabian decided it would not be a great idea to stay by her side. She would manipulate the words out of his mouth and therefore  he quickly excused himself. "You will tell me later!"

"Ne sois pas si indiscrète!" He playfully scolded her, a childish glint in his face with his giddy manner as he left her side for the evening. Colette shook her head with a feigned disappointment but would wait until morning to question him further.

After several minutes of watching the people around her, and sipping on her vodka martini she noticed her glass was empty. She turned around and gestured to the barkeeper.

"Un autre, s'il vous plaît."

It was when her mind had become a little fuzzy, and she did not need to force her lips in to smile anymore when she decided to make her presence known to her stepmother. She had noticed the woman minutes earlier, due to her powerful attendance, but had not dared to move an inch towards her.

"I'm glad you could show up." Her stepmother immediately noticed her presence as Colette had dragged her feet to the lady. She nodded at the girl in acknowledgement, but her eyes quickly went over the people around them.

"I'm sure you are."

"Do not start with me right now, Colette." The woman sneered back, her eyes looking down at the girl. "Bon soir, messieurs." There was no time for the girl to respond, or defend herself, as they were soon joined by two eager businessmen who had worked up the courage to give an elevator pitch.

"Colette Blanchet." She introduced herself to the two gents dressed in fine suits. Those suits were probably the most interesting thing about the men as well as they quickly bore her with details about the importance of their firm and why her father should think about investing in them. "This was a terrible idea." Colette whispered to herself as slowly faded in to the background of the conversation so she could leave the crowd. "The bar it is."