chapitre cinque

THE STREETS OF Monte Carlo had started to empty from its tourists, and the fabulous nightlife started to come to life. Casinos, hotels and clubs were all lit up to adjust to the change in atmosphere for the nocturnal activities involving money and alcohol. Reason as to the people who flocked the avenues were either intoxicated, wealthy, or in search for either.

       Colette sauntered the streets, now with the AlphaTauri jumper on rather than slung over her shoulders, of the city of Monte Carlo. She passed discotheque after club and debated every time if she should enter one, her poor choice of clothing keeping her on the sidewalk every time; Formula 1 merchandise was not exactly the correct evening wear amongst the millionaires who strolled the streets.

She finally stopped in front of a bar where she saw an away game from AS Monaco played on a big screen. The barstools were filled with enthusiastic, but tipsy, footy supporters who yelled 'Daghe Munegu' every now and then to support their favourite team. The elated atmosphere pulled her in and she decided to enter the cafe. Her presence was announced by the ringing of the bell above the heavy door but was, however, unnoticed by most.

The smell of old, spilled beer was prominent in the pub, which made her scrunch her nose at the sour odour, nonetheless ordering one herself. Colette rapidly adjusted to the environment before walking to the barkeeper who was quick to pull out a glass to release beer from the tap, sliding the pint over the bar to her. The girl nodded in appreciation, letting the bitter taste of the drink slide down her throat.

       Colette was yet to settle and she let her eyes sweep the audience. What appeared to take her interest from the gathered crowd was the fact that she was not the only one with Formula 1 merchandise on in the pub; a red cap stood out between the mass of people supporting the white kit of the Monegasque team.

"Do we perhaps have an alcohol problem?" Over the few minutes she had been present, she had gradually made her way towards him, only announcing her presence once she had taken a seat on one of the few empty barstools right next to the Ferrari driver. "I'm not sure if this is socially acceptable." He had diverted his eyes away from the game the moment he recognised her feminine voice speak from beside him.

"I believe it's perfectly acceptable to drink your sorrows away." Surprise was quickly covered with nonchalance as he raised his own glass, a 'cheers' in his actions towards her. "Wasn't that your life quote?"

"Very funny, Leclerc," A smug smile found its way to his lips as he winked playfully at her whilst sarcasm took over Colette's tongue. She took a second to come up with a snarky remark and it gave the driver a moment to look at her. It appeared she had not gone home after the race, a good seven hours ago, as she still wore a jumper from an opposing team.

       It was a striking contrast compared to the elegant satin gown from the evening prior, but even so she looked as graceful as ever, much to his dismay. "My life quote is 'stay away from arrogant F1-drivers'." She finally nodded before taking a big gulp from her beer, wishing she had had a quicker comeback. "So I'd say there are multiple reasons as to why people will be disappointed."

       "And I'd say that's another reason for a drink," He shrug his shoulders, skipping over her words for a second as his eyes had lingered on her smile a second too long. "My life quote."

       "I feel like I might have had an influence on that." Colette grinned as memories from all the times she has ordered drink after drink, liquor after alcohol to surpass time at formal events she was dragged along to. Who was usually dragged along to the very same formal events as well by his family, was Charles Leclerc; the fuel to their rocky relationship.