chapitre trois

EARLY MORNINGS WITH banging headaches were no rare occurrence for Colette, hence why the bedside table contained paracetamol at all times. The migraine, she would fully blame the champagne for—of course not the many vodkas that had flown through her system, awoke the girl and never had she been more grateful for the perfectly stocked painkillers to sooth the throbbing in her head.

       Colette straightened her posture to take the two aspirins with a glass of water. After swallowing, she tried to wake herself further up and pushed the silk duvet off of her tanned legs, running a hand through her dark, tangled hair as she staggered to the floor-to-ceiling windows which were shielded away by the flowy curtains. Outside the sun had been burning for several hours already, the warmth heating up her smooth skin as she opened one of the windows to take in the beautiful view over the city of Monte Carlo.

       One of the housemaids heard that the Monégasque girl had awoken by the stumbling around in her chamber and softly knocked on the massive door before entering. Colette swiftly looked at the door as she had not caught on to the rapping on the entrance, her eyes interchanging between unfocusing and focusing on the maid as there was still alcohol and sleep very much present in her system.

"Mademoiselle Blanchet ?" The housemaid had lowered her voice as she noticed the absent state of the brunette. "Votre père vous attend dans le salon." Colette raised a dark eyebrow as she questioned the maid's words, wondering why her father would be waiting for her. "Le repas de midi ? Votre rendez-vous ?" The girl was reminded and finally nodded absentmindedly with a hum; she had no idea what she had agreed to.

The maid left the girl to it soon after so she could quickly freshen up before meeting with the people who had been anticipating her presence. The girl finally realised she had slept longer than she wished for as it neared the early hours of midday, much to her dismay. So, with an agile shower, and an outfit chosen at random, she made her way down the vast stairs of the mansion, her high Dior sneakers shuffling against the material.

"There you are," Laurent Blanchet perked up as he looked away from the expensive watch on his wrist, a slight annoyed tone to his words. "The Nahmad's must be waiting already."

"What for?" Every word spoken to her that morning had been a vague rumble of words thrown together for her to understand. Context, however, was missing dearly for the girl's perception.

"For us," Her father replied matter of factly. "They invited us over for lunch."

"But I was going to watch the Grand Prix." Colette frowned, not amused by the sudden change of plans she did not have anything to do with in the first place. The Grand Prix of Monaco was something she looked forward to each year, and being as privileged as the Monegasque girl earned her the best seats along the circuit and an all access pass. The streets of Monaco would always feel like home, that included Circuit de Monaco.

"You are," Laurent nodded, tidying his dark blue blazer in the reflection of the window before he looked back at his daughter. "From Hôtel de Paris." He concluded with a definite nod at her as he left the grand, marble kitchen. Colette followed him swiftly, a skip in her step to keep up with the fast pace.

"Nun, nun, from the AlphaTauri pitbox." Colette corrected, shaking her head in denial.

"Colette," Her father sounded aloof as he sighed deeply. "Get in the car." The two had made their way outside to the courtyard where their driver had been waiting for them. Colette continued the argument in her head but nodded after watched him in defeat, taking a seat in the sleek, black Audi nonetheless.

       Laurent Blanchet took a seat next to her and loudly started a conversation on his phone with his Monegasque accent, a monotonous humming to Colette as she stared lazily out of the tinted windows. Their driver drove the car off of the driveway from the Blanchet property as he drove his employers through the narrow streets of the small municipality, filled with tourists, F1-enthousiasts and wealthy celebrities.

       Colette had been to Hôtel de Paris many times before and noticed the different route they took due to the closed off roads for the circuit. The twenty minute car ride finished in front of the elegant entrance to the hotel where they were gladly received by a host. The usher led them to the Michelin 3-star Louis XV restaurant in which the Nahmad's had already taken their seat.

"Bon après-midi." Luis, who she faintly remembered from the evening prior, greeted her, grabbing yet again her palm to place a kiss on the back of her hand. A smug smile formed on his face as Colette looked taken aback for a second. Not because she thought his French was eloquent, but because of his directness in physical contact.

"Bungiurnu." The girl nodded her head as she fought against pulling a repugnant face because of him. Luis nodded with a lazy, crooked smile as he pushed a chair for the girl back next to the grand windows that overlooked Port Hercule and the streets of Monte Carlo.

The four were soon served by a waiter, very much to Colette's delight, who asked for their choice of drink.

       "Wine, white," Colette was quick to answer with a graceful, but feigned nonetheless, smile at the posh man taking their orders. "A whole lot of it," She mumbled as her eyes glided over the menu cart she now held in her hands as her company requested their drinks as well. The server left the table and their fathers were quick to be engrossed in a conversation which did not concern the two young adults. "Are you enjoying your stay in Monaco?" Colette finally mustered the strength to start a conversation with the Lebanese lad sat next to her, proper manners and etiquette forcing her to do so.

       "Very much so, and the filles here." Luis answered, a proud gleam in his eyes, his arm carelessly slung over the back of Colette's chair.

       "Right." Colette nodded her head unamused, much regret filling her for stepping in the car earlier on as her manicured fingers glided over the rim of her wineglass. She swiftly looked away from the company she was surrounded with and noticed it had been lights out and the Monaco Grand Prix of 2021 had commenced just minutes before. Colette's face lit up and her features softened from her tense posture from before. The roaring sounds of race cars increased and the first few cars darted over the circuit just outside.

       "I assume you like the motorsport?" Luis spoke up after watching the brunette alternating between looking at the street circuit outside, and the flatscreen showcasing the rest of the race for the guests of the restaurant who intended on following the important competition.

       "It's kind of a religion here," Colette answered reluctantly, it was something about his presence she did not necessarily enjoy. He, however, looked more sincere than before and Colette sighed internally before continuing their conversation. "He is a friend of mine." She pointed out as the number '10' Scuderia AlphaTauri formula 1 race car drove past Hôtel de Paris at a high pace, dominating his sixth place he had earned during qualifications the day before.

The two surprisingly managed to hold a conversation for the rest of lunch, and the race, without Colette wishing to drown her liver in the white wine she had been served.

       "It was lovely to see you again, Colette," Luis told the brunette as he slung his arms around her for a last embrace. "I hope to see you soon."

       "Sure." The girl nodded her head, politeness in her voice as she knew her father was listening to the two saying goodbye. The Nahmad's left Colette with her father, whose attention was yet again on his phone before she too left him in the entrance hall. "I'm going out."