chapitre oetu

THE MORNING AFTER was not as uncomfortable as Colette had expected. Following her early escape from the driver's flat, her best friend's interrogation, forgetting the paparazzi incident, she was now seated in a luxurious restaurant turned club with her friends to celebrate her birthday. Pierre Gasly and Fabian had taken the task upon themselves of organising Colette's party, inviting all of their friends, including half of the Formula 1 grid, to the Blue Bay which they had completely rented out for the evening and night.

"A toast to my dear friend, Colette, our favourite unofficial WAG." Pierre raised his glass with champagne as he winked at his girl friend next to him, chuckling as she playfully rolled her eyes at the inside joke. The friends who had been invited laughing as if they did not race against each other the day prior. Everyone had settled down after an hour or two and mingled freely around the club to get loose as the booze had been flowing none stop. "Allô ? Non I'm at the Blue Bay, it's Colette's birthday."

"Who is it?" Colette looked to her right, where Pierre was stood, as she heard her name being dropped in his conversation, raising an eyebrow curiously.

"Charles," The French friend halted his call for a second before he returned the phone to his ear. She nodded her head before he continued and kept her face neutral, although she felt a tad uncomfortable that he knew where she was. Keeping her distance from him was not made as easy as she had assumed. Especially when Pierre focused his attention back on her. "He wants to speak to you."

"Belle au Bois Dormant." A husky, masculine voice spoke eloquently in her ear, amusement in his voice. Colette forced her facial features to stay amiable as she excused herself from the lot she had been speaking with, annoyance now creeping in the shadows of her delight.

       "And where can I find my handsome prince?" She bit back once she was at a safe distance of provoking the Ferrari driver without others listening to her side of the conversation. His spirited mood could, however, not be ruined by her snarky comebacks as she could hear him chuckle at her comment. "What do you want?" Colette sighed, eyeing for any wandering eyes, or eavesdropping ears.

       "I was the first to congratulate you and I didn't even get an invite?" She could hear the sarcasm dripping from his tone whilst picturing his playful smirk.

       "I wasn't in charge of the invitations." Colette shrugged her shoulders as she raised an eyebrow.

       "Because if you were you would have invited me?" Another chuckle followed his statement, causing the urge to end the phone-call to increase even further. She did not want to talk to him in the first place.

       "And desperately hoped you couldn't attend." Colette answered in her ever so sweet voice, smiling at a few friends who had raised their eyebrows as they could not follow her conversation.

       "You're too kind," The receiving line of the phone call answered, used to the harsh words that were covered up by her dazzling smile; perfect white teeth and plump lips coated with a lipgloss. "Because you asked so nicely, I'll come over too," Colette now heard muffled noises and the clinking of keys together. "Where are you guys? Still the restaurant? I'll be over in a bit."

       "Leclerc—" He had ended the call before she could talk him out of his idea or argue. The screen from Pierre's phone returned to its homescreen and Colette's dark eyes focused on the wallpaper from a previous vacation, coincidentally featuring said Ferrari driver. "Connard."

       "What did he say?" Pierre looked up when Colette returned to the table with his phone in her hand, a forced smile playing on her face.

       "He'll be over," She told the lot who had tuned in to their conversation. A confused McLaren driver, or two, watching her fall back into a conversation with Pierre, but the wide, and knowing, grin from Fabian infuriated the Blanchet girl further. "Not a word from you." She hissed as she pointed at him, sipping from the expensive champagne in her untouched glass.