chapitre noeve

THE UNUSUAL PAIR left and silently strolled through the lit streets of Monte Carlo. The driver was not too sure where to, but followed the girl nonetheless blindly. As a native to the principality of Monaco he was familiar with the streets and shortcuts which made him realise after several minutes of quiet walking that they neared the Casino Square, trailing along the track of the Grand Prix he was meant to drive that weekend. To be fair, it surprised him that the woman in front him, confident in her stride, made no sarcastic remarks about it. No playful jab at the fact he had driven his red Ferrari into the wall not too far away from where they sauntered the concrete. It made him question if she still remembered he was trailing behind her at all.

       The bibulous trust-fund baby and Scuderia Ferrari driver crossed the square and passed all sorts of super cars as they neared the stairs up to the famous gambling complex of Monte Carlo.

       "If you wanted to have a martini you could have just said so, could have saved us this twenty minute walk." Charles finally said, a proud grin on his face because of his allusion to her signature choice of drink. It was a swift reminder to the both of them that they had seen each other quite a bit since that Saturday. All encounters filled with vodka martinis, problems, and more alcohol.

       "I do hope your luck is better than your sense of humour," Colette answered with a raised eyebrow, feigning annoyance before ascending the marble stairs to the entrance. She hid the surprise that he had remembered her signature drink rather well. Perhaps she had ordered one too many and was it common knowledge. "And I always want a martini." She mumbled with the smallest of smiles, feeling his presence by her side as he had hurried behind her.

       "Madame," The doorman opened the door for the two golden youngsters of Monaco to the notorious architecture, a raised eyebrow at the driver's attire. "Monsieur."

       "I'm greatly underdressed, am I not?" Charles quickly whispered to the brunette once they were out of earshot from the doorman. A small blush warmed his cheeks when Colette give him a once-over, biting her lower glossed lip to hold back a chuckle. Clad in a plain white shirt, dark ripped jeans, and his white sneakers, he looked rather out of place. It might have been all Dior, but he certainly did not meet the criteria of dressing smartly.

       "Let's say that it's a surprise they'd let you in," The girl let a giggle past her lips as she realised he looked more tense than usual, maybe even nervous. "Certainly in need of an Armani suit," But she knew Charles Leclerc better and he was never nervous. Reason why a smirk returned to his sharp face after Colette's words: "But I've seen worse," The Blanchet girl rolled her eyes with regret as she saw his smug face. "That was not to boost your ego, that was a backhanded compliment."

       "Oh I know," The driver remained confident, slinging an arm over the shoulder of the shorter girl by his side. He led the girl to the floor of slot machines and gambling tables. "I just decide to ignore that part, mon étoile." The girl pushed his arm off her shoulder with a knowing look in her dark eyes. The playful grin remained on his face as no further curses or complaints followed.

       "Since you've got me all figured out, mind joining the table for a round of poker?" She pointed to an empty table of cards where the croupier shuffled his cards bored.

       "Faites vos jeux." His eyebrows quirked up as he gestured to follow her towards the indicated table of gambling.

       "The odds are always in my favour." Colette pushed her dark locks over her shoulder as she took a seat at the stool around the table.

       "Isn't it that only the casino wins?" Charles lowered his voice as Colette changed her euros for casino tokens with the dealer of the green poker table.