December 16, 1937

Madeleine was driving as snowflakes fell around her, bringing her visibility to near nothing. The road helped clear her mind. She'd lost her husband a few months prior and their coming child would be without a father.

The headlights only made the storm worse.

Flakes of white surrounded her, making it impossible to see.

Before she knew it, she lost control and crashed.

Down she fell. It seemed like hours, but lasted only seconds.

In an instant, Madeleine breathed her last.

But fate had a different journey in mind.

Lightning struck the car and Madeleine let out a gasping breath.

She scrambled from the car and looked around.

A man who'd been working at the docks ran up to her. "Hey, are you okay?"

Madeleine nodded. "I think so. What happened? Bucky?"

"You crashed and fell into the water. Are you sure you're okay?"

"I'm fine, Buck." She prayed her baby would be as well.

Bucky glanced at the car and back to Madeleine. "Why were you driving in this weather?"

"The road eases the painful memories. What were you doing out here?"

"I work at the docks. Gotta make money somehow." He noticed her ring. "Are you married?"

"I was. My husband, he um, died a few months ago. Structural accident. I haven't had the courage to remove it."

"God, I'm so sorry."

"Thank you. That means a lot."

"Let me take you home, Madeleine."

"I can manage."

"I insist. It wouldn't be proper to let a lady make her way home alone."

Madeleine nodded reluctantly. "Very well. Thank you, Buck."

Bucky took Madeleine to her apartment and chuckled.

Madeleine frowned. "What's so funny?"

"Nothing, doll. We just live in the same building. Me and Steve are a floor below you. We grew up together; how'd I not know you moved into the same apartment?"

Madeleine shrugged. "Guess you haven't paid enough attention, Mr. Barnes."

"I pay enough attention, Ms. Turner. Madeleine, if you ever need anything, don't hesitate to ask, all right?"

She nodded and smiled. "Thank you for everything, Bucky."

He returned her smile. "You're welcome, Maddi. Take care. Hopefully we'll see each other again."

"I hope so."

With a final wave, Madeleine walked into the silent room and closed the door behind her.

As Bucky walked away, he couldn't get Madeleine out of his mind, no matter how hard he tried. He'd been okay for years and seeing her again brought out all those feelings from years before.

One chance encounter rekindled a beautiful friendship to three, something more to two, and a father and uncle to one.