1: 11

Steve took over the plane's controls while Bucky sat with his girls. On a screen they read 'Ziel New York City' and tried the radio which was picked up by the HYDRA control tower occupied by Peggy, Colonel Phillips and Morita.

(Target New York City)

"Come in," Steve said. "This is Captain Rogers. Do you read me?"

"Captain Rogers, what are your..." Morita was cut off as Peggy took his place.

"Steve, is that you?" Peggy asked. "Are you and Bucky all right?"

"Peggy! Schmidt's dead."

"What about the plane?"

"That's a little bit tougher to explain. Evelyn and Rebecca are on board with us."

"Oh, God. Give me your coordinates, I'll find you four a safe landing site."

"There's not going to be a safe landing. But I can try and force it down."

"I'll get Howard on the line, he'll know what to do."

"There's not enough time. This thing's moving too fast and it's headed for New York. I gotta put her in the water."

"Please, don't do this. We have time. We can work it out."

"Right now Bucky, Evelyn, Rebecca and I are in the middle of nowhere. If we wait any longer, a lot of people are gonna die. Peggy, this is Bucky's and my choice." He forced the plane toward the water. "Peggy?"

"I'm here."

"I'm gonna need a rain check on that dance."

Peggy, with tears in her eyes, said, "All right. A week, next Saturday, at the Stork Club."

"You got it."

"Eight o'clock on the dot. Don't you dare be late."

"You know, I still don't know how to dance."

"I'll show you how. Just be there."

"We'll have the band play somethin' slow. I'd hate to step on your..." The line went static and Peggy began crying.

"Steve? Steve? Steve?"

Rebecca cuddled into her father's arms. "Papa, I'm scared."

Bucky held her and Evelyn tighter. "I am too." He glanced up and whispered, "I'm coming, Maddi. Sadly, the girls and Steve are too."

May 8, 1945

The world celebrated the victory over Nazi Germany. The Howling Commandos were in a bar looking solemn.

Falsworth said, "To the Captain and the Sergeant. And two innocent girls." The group drank.

ARCTIC SEA - SHIP

Howard was on his search for the Valkyrie. They found the Tesseract.

"Sir?" Howard's engineer called. Howard stepped to him and watched on a screen as a submarine grabbed the cube.

Howard said to the captain, "Take us to the next grid point."

"But there's not a trace of the wreckage. And the energy signature stops here."

"Just keep looking."

---

Peggy was handed two files about Steve and Bucky. She pulled out the photo of the man she'd fallen in love with, a photo of Steve before he'd gotten the serum, and looked at it sadly.