1: 01

[Evelyn (5) and Rebecca (almost 1) above]

Early/Mid-1943 (again, unsure of the specific date, so making assumptions)

Steve, after failing to be approved for military service yet again, made his way to the theater and awaited his friends as he watched a short about helping the war effort.

The commercial announcer said, "War continues to ravage Europe. But help is on the way. Every able-bodied young man is lining up to serve his country. Even little Timmy is doing his part collecting scrap metal. Nice work, Timmy!"

"Who cares?" a loud, jerky guy said. "Play the movie already!"

Steve replied quietly, "Hey, you wanna show some respect?"

"Meanwhile, overseas, our brave boys are showing the Axis powers that the price freedom is never too high."

"Let's got! Get on with it! Hey, just start the cartoon!" the loud jerk cried.

"Hey buddy, you wanna shut up?!" Steve shot back.

The guy got up and looked at him. Steve stared at him, realizing he'd made a mistake. But the man was a bully, and he couldn't let that slide.

"Together with Allied forces, we'll face any threat, no matter the size."

The two were soon in an alley. Steve tried punching the guy, but kept getting knocked down.

Steve picked up the top to a trashcan and the guy said, "You just don't know when to give up, do you?"

"I could do this all day," Steve challenged, balling his fists.

--

Evelyn swung her father's hand up and down as they walked. Madeleine walked next to them, holding Rebecca.

Evelyn frowned and said, "Papa, what's the loud noises?"

Bucky listened for a moment and muttered, "Steve, I swear if that's you-" He glanced at his wife. "Stay here with the girls."

Madeleine nodded and held Evelyn's hand. However, the little girl was determined to see what was going on and escaped her mother's grasp.

"Evelyn!" Madeleine yelled, supporting Rebecca's head as she ran after her older daughter.

Bucky, who had found the alley, said, "Hey! Pick on someone your own size!" He punched the attacker, then kicked the man as he ran away. He glanced back at Steve. "Sometimes I think you like getting punched."

"I had him on the ropes," Steve replied, noticing Evelyn. "Hi, Evelyn."

Bucky turned to the little girl and frowned. "I told you to stay with your mother."

Evelyn smiled sweetly. "I wanted to see Uncle Steve."

"Sometimes it's better to let me or Mama handle something. Next time I want you to listen to me, okay?"

Madeleine walked up and gently scolded her daughter. "Next time, you stay with me like you're told. Please don't go running off like that again."

Evelyn nodded. "Sorry, Mama. Sorry, Papa. Is Uncle Steve okay?"

Bucky ruffled her hair. "It's okay. Uncle Steve is fine." He picked up Steve's enlistment form from the ground. "How many times is this?" He read from the enlistment form. "Oh, you're from Paramus now? You know it's illegal to lie on the enlistment form. And seriously, Jersey?"

Madeleine grimaced slightly. "Jersey? No one likes Jersey."

Steve ignored their words and asked, "You get your orders?"

"The 107th," Bucky said. "Sergeant James Barnes. Shipping out for England first thing tomorrow. "

Madeleine took Bucky's hand and squeezed it gently before saying, "I'm off in a couple weeks to report to my agent for duty. I've already checked and I can bring the girls with me. I was reassured they'd be well looked after."

Steve looked between them. "I should be going."

"Come on, man," Bucky pleaded. "It's my last night! Gotta get you cleaned up."

"Why? Where are we going?" Steve wondered.

"The future." He handed Steve a newspaper. Steve opened the paper to see an ad for World Exposition Of Tomorrow, 1943.

Evelyn stared up at her father. "What's the future gonna be like?"

Bucky picked her up and said, "Like everything you can think of and more."

Her eyes widened. "Like tiny picture boxes and cars with wings?"

Madeleine laughed and said, "That would certainly be a cool future, Evie."