2: 01

Sam Wilson was jogging around Washington, D.C. when Steve quickly caught up to him, passing him.

Since Evelyn and Rebecca had woken up early, Bucky decided to take them for a morning walk to see the sunrise.

"On your left," Steve said.

As Sam continued to jog, Steve came around again after another lap and said, "On your left."

"Uh-huh, on my left," Sam replied. "Got it."

As Sam was still jogging, Steve came around from behind again.

"Don't say it! Don't you say it!" Sam told him.

"On your left!"

"Come on!"

Evelyn laughed as she pointed at Steve. "Uncle Steve is being... What's that word you say, Papa?"

"Nuisance," Bucky replied. "Yes, he is being a nuisance."

Sam got angry and tried to catch up to the super-soldier, but after a few seconds, he was unable to carry on and stopped to rest.

As Sam rested, catching his breath against a tree, Steve walked over to him. Bucky followed as he held his daughters' hands.

"Need a medic?" Steve asked.

Sam laughed. "I need a new set of lungs. Dude, you just ran like 13 miles in 30 minutes."

"I guess I got a late start."

He hesitated a moment before taking sarcastically, "Oh, really? You should be ashamed of yourself. You should take another lap. Did you just take it? I assumed you just took it."

"What unit you with?" Bucky asked with a slight tilt of his head.

"58, Pararescue. But now I'm working down at the VA." He lifted a hand to shake. "Sam Wilson."

Steve gave Sam a hand to shake, pulling him up. "Steve Rogers." He pointed to his friend and the girls. "That's Bucky Barnes and his daughters Evelyn and Rebecca."

"Yeah, I kind of put that together," Sam said. "Must have freaked you four out, coming home after the whole defrosting thing."

"It takes some getting used to. It's good to see you, Sam."

As Steve and Bucky turned to leave, Sam said, "It's your beds, right?"

"What's that?"

"Your beds, they're too soft. When I was over there, I'd sleep on the ground and use rock for pillows, like a caveman. Now I'm home, lying in my bed, and it's like..."

"Lying on a marshmallow. Feel like I'm gonna sink right to the floor."

Bucky nodded. "Half the time I'm on the floor. The girls have sleeping bags; their request."

Sam smiled and nodded before Steve asked, "How long?"

"Two tours," Sam replied. After an awkward silence, he asked, "You two must miss the good old days, huh?"

"Well, things aren't so bad. Food's a lot better, we used to boil everything. No polio is good. Internet, so helpful. Bucky and I've been reading that a lot trying to catch up."

Sam looked up to think and raised a finger. "Marvin Gaye, 1972, Trouble Man soundtrack. Everything you've both missed in one album."

"I'll put it on the list."

Steve pulled out his small notebook and pen and wrote it on the list which included - 'I Love Lucy (Television); Moon Landing; Berlin Wall (Up + Down); Steve Jobs (Apple); Disco; Thai Food; Star Wars/Trek (with Star Wars crossed out); Nirvana (Band); Rocky (Rocky II?)'.

Bucky rolled his eyes. "The fact that you carry that with you everywhere you go."

Rebecca frowned. "I like the list, Papa."

Evelyn nodded. "Me too. You should have a list too."

"I do," Bucky replied. "I just keep it in my head."

Steve and Bucky got a text. 'Mission alert. Extraction imminent. Meet at the curb. :)'

"All right, Sam, duty calls," Steve said. "Thanks for the run. If that's what you wanna call running."

The three shook hands and Sam asked, "Oh, that's how it is?"

"Oh, that's how it is."

He laughed. "Okay. Any time you wanna stop by the VA, make me look awesome in front of the girl at the front desk, just let me know."

"I'll keep it in mind."

"Okay."

Natasha pulled up in her car by the curb and rolled down the window and said, "Hey, fellas. Either one of you know where the Smithsonian is? I'm here to pick up a couple fossils."

"That's hilarious," Steve and Bucky retorted.

Steve walked over to Natasha's car and got in before asking his friend, "You coming with us?"

Bucky shook his head. "Sorry, Steve. You're on your own. I promised the girls pancakes."

Steve smiled lightly. "Pancakes are pretty important." He turned to the girls. "Enjoy them you two."

Sam gave Natasha and her car an appreciative look before asking, "How you doing?"

"Hey," Natasha greeted.

"Can't run everywhere," Steve said.

"No, you can't," Sam replied, watching as Natasha quickly pulled away and drove off.

Rebecca looked up at Sam. "Wanna have pancakes too?"

Sam smiled. "No, that's okay. I'll make something at home."

"Please?" Evelyn begged.

Bucky shrugged. "They're not going to stop."

Sam looked between the girls and said, "I suppose pancakes wouldn't hurt."

As they made their way to a diner, Sam said, "If you don't mind me asking, is their mother at home?"

"Mama's gone," Rebecca said.

Evelyn nodded. "She fell off a train."

Sam glanced at Bucky who nodded sadly. "God, I'm so sorry."

Bucky shrugged. "Yeah, well, nothing I could do. Or Steve could do. So the girls and I just have to live with that knowledge. The last couple years haven't been too bad."

"I imagine the company helps."

"It does."

They reached the diner and the girls ordered pancakes and juice while Sam and Bucky ordered eggs and coffee; the latter also got French toast and bacon.

The four ate in a rather peaceful, quiet manner as all were enjoying their breakfast.