Chaos

By the time, I make it back to Mystic Falls there's only pure chaos. A crowd of people lay dead in the town square, blood dripping from their eyes, nose, and mouths. The sight worries me, especially as the air here feels weird. Dashing to the Salvatore Boarding House, I am surprised to find a whole group of random strangers in our living room. A man, who seems to be their leader, speaks to them. "Our spell has been successful. No longer will witch magic taint the earth. Only our magic, pure magic, will survive. The Other Side is falling, vampires are dying, we have succeed my friends. With the doppelgänger blood, we have eliminated our enemies, and now we may settle together forever." The horde of Travelers, based on what the man had to say, cheer.

This doesn't sound good. And doppelgängers...I need to find Stefan! When I do find him though, my body freezes. Tyler Lockwood has his hand in my twin's chest, and before I can blink, he pulls Stefan's heart out. I scream. "Stefan!" Caroline, who bares witness to the scene, gasps.

"There. Dead doppelgänger. Stopped the spell." Tyler discards of Stefan's heart before vamping away.

Caroline freaks out, cradling Stefan's body as she cries. I push back my own tears, knowing it's not over yet. Stefan is dead, which means he's here now. He's on the Other Side. I just need to find Bonnie. He'll have to pass through her. If Mystic Falls isn't safe for vampires anymore, that means they'll have to go somewhere else. That means...they might try Whitmore College. In a flash, I make my way there

When I arrive, my heart is pounding in my chest as I look for my brother. "Stefan!" I yell. "Stefan." Bonnie turns around the corner, frowning when she meets my gaze.

"Lily," she whispers. "I'm so sorry. I'm sorry about St-" but she cuts herself off as she looks to something behind me.

Slowly, with my heart beating rapidly in my chest, I turn around. A guilty expression on his face, Stefan meets my wide eyes. Something between a sob and a moan falls from my lips as I run on him. Crushing him in a tight embrace, I sigh as some of the loneliness I've felt this last few months leaves me. It feels so good to have Stefan here, dead or not. It feels good to not be alone. Because besides for Kol, I have been. I've been alone for what feels like eternity. The days became meaningless--time itself became meaningless. All I could do was watch or lose myself to the heartbreaking solitude of nothingness. "Stefan," I whisper with a shaky breath as we pull apart. "I'm happy to see you, well for you to see me. But you shouldn't be here!" I frown at him. "You can't die. You..."

Stefan can tell I'm about to lose it as he wraps his arms around me again, squeezing me tight. "Don't think about that, Lils. Not right now," he whispers to me, rubbing my back. "Right now, just let me be happy that I get to see you again."

Although his words don't offer much comfort as I think about how the whole Other Side is about to implode, I let him pretend they help. I force myself to relax and enjoy what may be the last time I see my twin. It's kind of fitting, isn't it? We shared a womb, were birthed together, and now we'll die together.

A commotion down the hall draws our attention as Stefan and I part. We watch as Caroline crashes into the student lounge behind us, sobbing. A body is in her arms. Solemnly, Stefan approaches her. His eyes narrowing in on his dead body, which is laid upon a couch. "It's weird, isn't it?" I ask him, stepping next to him. "To see yourself like this."

He doesn't offer much of a reply. Instead, his eyes narrow as he looks at himself and then to Caroline. I watch as his hand twitches, almost as if he's planning on reaching out for her, but instead, he seems to think twice and curls it back against his side. Suddenly, doors are banging open as Damon and Elena come rushing into the room. Damon's shirt is stained with blood.