one

Honestly, the first morning of senior year wasn't exactly what I had expected. Not only did the whole world find out Peter Parker was Spiderman, they also figured out which school he attended. Hence, the reporters with huge cameras and protestors lining the school steps. I watched from afar, and my heart ached for Peter as he kept his gaze firmly on the ground, avoiding all interaction with the crowds as they shouted. Once Peter, MJ and Ned made it through the school doors, the shouting died out and the reporters started turning to other students to give interviews live on air.

I was hoping to slip through the crowd completely unnoticed, so I kept my head down and tried to rush towards the doors. Imagine my disappointment when a reporter tapped my shoulder, a cameraman following closely behind her.

"Excuse me, Miss! Do you know Peter Parker personally? Do you think he truly is a cold-blooded murderer?" She pushed her microphone into my face, to which I instinctively pulled away from. As I considered walking away and ignoring her questions entirely, I hesitated. Peter didn't deserve this. If I could help just a tiny bit, it was worth trying.

"No, ma'am. there is absolutely no way Peter Parker is a murderer. We were very close growing up. We grew apart since starting high school, but he has always been incredibly sweet natured," I shook my head at the thought of labelling Peter Parker a murderer. "I can remember this one time, when we were 5, he cried because he accidentally walked on my cat's tail. I'm not sure there's ever been a sweeter guy."

The reporter looked surprised, as though she hadn't expected anybody to speak against the witch hunt agenda. "Oh, I see... What is your name, Miss?"

"Lottie. Lottie Cooper. I'm going to go now, is that all?"

"Thank you for your time, Miss Cooper."

I didn't think anymore of the interaction until a couple of days later, when my gran visited my father for lunch. She rushed through the front door, her hair brushed up into a high bun held into place with a large, ornate gold clip and the biggest grin on her face. I couldn't have been happier to see her again after she'd been gone for months.

"Oh Lolly, I'm so happy to see your face in person!" Gran dropped her bag by the door and pulled me into a hug.

"Gran, I've missed you."

"We both have, mom! Welcome back." My dad exclaimed from the kitchen as he brewed tea.

"Now, I know exactly what you're thinking. where have I been? My lovelies, I wish I could tell you all about it but you know how it is," Gran sported a michevious glint in her eye, but we both knew better than to push for answers.

She then made sure to direct the attention toward me, drawing our focus away from her travels. "However I can say that I still managed to see your face all over the news, missy."

"Wait, what? They aired my interview?" This was actually pretty surprising. I had thought they'd leave my words out of the broadcast, seeing as they were in support of Peter. "Damn, who'd have thought?"

"You need to call that boy and check up on him. What you said was lovely, he needs friendly faces right now. Do you have a number for him?" Gran gratefully accepted a tea cup from my dad as we sat in our lounge.

I nodded, finding my cell phone in my pocket. I quickly excused myself as I dialled what I hoped was still Peter's cell number. I'd planned to take the call on my balcony but as I headed to my bedroom door, the ground beneath me quickly became blurred. My knees shook and my vision became clouded, so I decided to lie on the bed. The call rang on, and on, and I almost gave up 15 seconds in. A sudden click and instant heavy breathing made me force myself back down to earth, but the room around me was still spinning.

"Lottie? Is that you?" Peter's voice sounded small, and broken.

"I, uh... Yes, it's me. How are you doing?" I massaged my temples with my free hand as I spoke, hoping to relieve some tension.

"Why are you calling? I mean, I'm sorry. That must've come across so rude," Peter mumbled, "I didn't mean it like that at all, I'm sorry. I just don't have much time right now."

That's when I noticed the sadness in his voice, his drawn out words and defeated tone. "Are you okay, Peter?"

"Listen, Lottie. In about thirty seconds, one minute tops, I'll have nobody. I need you to do something for me. Find some paper, a notepad, anything." Peter spoke faster and faster, "Write my name. Please. Write Peter Parker, I'll find you afterwards."

"You're scaring me, Peter. Are you in trouble? I mean, yes, of course I'll do that." I scrambled to find paper and a pen, finding both on my nightstand. I grasped the notebook, scrawling 'Peter Parker" in the centre of the page.

"I can explain soon. I have to go, I'm sorry. Thank you, I'll find you. I promise." His attention seemed to wander, as he shouted to another on his end of the call. My eyes began to droop as the sun outside brightened to an unbearable glare.

"Peter two and thr-" His voice cut off with a beep as he ended our call. I barely had time to overthink what had just happened, as I slowly lost grip of myself and slipped into an unconscious state.