two

I barely had time to overthink what had just happened, as I slowly lost grip of myself and slipped into an unconscious state.

By the time I awoke, it was already dark outside - it was rather nice compared to the blinding light from before. It had clearly been hours since that phone call, and since I lost consciousness but I didn't feel well-rested at all. The phone call. I'd almost forgotten all about Peter Parker and our phone call, so I reached out to the nightstand to find the note I'd written. I immediately panicked when I couldn't feel my notebook and flicked the switch on my lamp.

It's kinda funny, I could have sworn my lampshade was still green last time I checked. Dad must have switched it with the one from our kitchen when my lamp started playing up.

The light didn't help at all, though. There was no sign of the notebook or Peter's name anywhere. All I could do was dial his number once more, but the call cut off immediately after I dialled.

Whatever, it'll be okay. Peter promised he'd find me and explain. I just have to be patient. I suppose I should check how my dad is doing and let him know I'm okay, actually. He might be worried.

Having slept off my crippling headache and regained the strength in my knees, I lifted myself up from the bed to look for my tote bag. I remembered the plans I had made with a friend at a local diner, so collected the few things I needed and made my way out of the room. It turned out my dad must have redecorated the halls while I had been at the library that morning. Each artwork was brand new, and nothing like the frames we had hung up before. They were nice though, so I didn't mind too much. I reached the kitchen, flicked the light on and stumbled towards the refrigerator. Although my dad had finished up the orange juice carton I wanted, I found some cranberry juice instead and opened the lid.

"Excuse me?" I heard a gentle female voice from behind me as I took a mouthful straight from the carton. It must be Gran, checking. I was out for a while, after all.

"Hmm?" I mumbled a vague answer, taking a huge gulp as I turned to face Gran. Except it wasn't Gran. I didn't know the woman at all. "Sorry, who are you? Wait... Why are you in my apartment?"

"Honey, I'm sure you don't mean any harm. But this isn't your apartment." The woman clutched a large silver hair clip, twisting her hair up into a high bun. She then gestured to the refrigerator door. "Look, my name is on the bills addressed to this place. I'm sorry, love."

My heart dropped when I saw her name. My gran's name, Elizabeth Green, was written right above the address I was so sure was mine. The carton slipped from my grasp, splashing juice everywhere as it hit the floor and forced me to confront reality.

"I'm so... I mean, I just don't know what's going on. I really need to go, I'm sorry." I stumbled over my words and immediately headed for the front door.

"Are you one of Charlotte's friends?" The woman called after me as I rushed away, stopping me dead in my tracks. I hadn't been called Charlotte for years.

"Charlotte? How do you know Charlotte? I need to know." I blurted out in response.

"Honey, she's my... granddaughter." The pause in her sentence was unsettling at best, and I knew I had to get the hell out of there. "You must know her, then?"

I couldn't find the words to reply, so instead I ran. I ran out of the front door and towards the building elevator, not bothering to look back. I slid my cell phone from my back pocket once I was in the elevator. It had almost no signal and very little battery left, but I tried Peter's cell once more. No connection, again.

The cold New York air took my breath away as soon as I made it out of the building. At least New York still looks just the same. I wandered with no specific destination in mind, completely blowing off my plans. That could wait, whatever was going on with me could not. I instinctively headed towards the riverside walkway, cutting through the next block over, but I noticed my usual route had been completely blocked up ahead by a huge crowd. I had always been far too curious for my own good, so I found myself pushing through the hoards of pedestrians.

I immedietly felt a weight lifted from my shoulders as soon as I spotted Spiderman himself, negotiating with a police officer. As their conversation came to a close, Peter prepared to sling his web and I knew I'd have to catch him now or miss my chance entirely. I waited for the police officer to walk away before catching up with Peter.

"Peter! Thank God, I thought you'd forgotten all about me! I'm glad I found you." I explained breathlessly as I jogged over to him and walked by his side. He froze and pulled away from me.

"Who's Peter? I, uh, sorry, do I know you?"