002. Walking a Wire..

━━━━━━༻🕸༺━━━━━━

━━━━━━༻🕸༺━━━━━━

There was no better way to test the web-shooters than by taking a leap of faith from a considerable height. Nothing but the exhilaration of it all passed Peter's mind when he offered the alternative to flying to Wendy, every other little worry came around in the certain and immediate event of her accepting his offered extended hand and gifting him the entirety of her trust. Feeling privileged twice over -the first time being the cemented outlook of how she risked her journey another delay to save him, Peter finally tasted the bitterness of a battle happening between a current desire to live and a marker left on him by guilt.

He pushed away the worries with all his strength. I can do this, I know I repaired the web-shooters well, Peter reassured himself. The very next second, it was also his own mind protesting back, But if it caves in, I might survive the fall, while she...

Though Wendy was watching in silence for a second, the very next, she had to see Peter shake his head to nothing at all. His smile was present, but his gaze was lost in his thoughts, I'll hold her all the way through and take the fall for her if need be.

Cause that worked so well the last time..., that whisper at the back of his head was dying because he squeezed Wendy's hand for an anchor into the present, rather than the past. The true leap of faith was beating his fear of, by mistake, using something he loved to endanger someone he should be most caring of.

"Peter?" Wendy tilted her head. The shake made him avert his gaze, so she sought it insistently, bending from her lower back and leaning down, into his line of sight.

"Just one rule," she heard him say. You are talking to me, Wendy's thought echoed, the one who learnt the rules of the Multiverse long before ever daring to bypass them or cross them out completely. If there was anything Wendy Weber knew how to handle, then that surely was the idea of a law and its overall sanctity.

She nodded along and Peter gulped, filled with hesitation. His head shook again, releasing dust from a hair which resisted through the mess which has been 2709; in the shadow of its lowered state, Peter's eyes found themselves in the incapacity of staring at anything else but the rough edges of his hand, of his big thumb supporting Wendy's from underneath and into the prominent look of his own veins, pulsing life between his frail skin and hers. Flushed knuckles on her side met with his scrapped and turmoil-carried own.

Their lasting handshake was fainter, yet as soon as he breathed in its freshness and connectivity, it tightened. His chest did too. A knot formed in his throat and wasted the bravery away into another anxious shake of his head.

He's far too anxious to be just a simple rule, Wendy's flaring lack of proper knowledge of people interaction, outside of her brief, surface studies of humanity throughout distinct worlds, burned her calm away into an interested fret. She was beginning to oil the wheels of her thoughts, run the calculations and come up with what could have possibly made Peter so distressed, so suddenly, before even asking or letting him explain himself.