eight

And so that's how it happened. 

How I ended up skipping my second period Language Arts class with Brighton High School's infamous Ashton Young. 

We simply sat on the outside basketball court, against the fence, our feet stuck out in front of us. From a distance, someone would probably think we were smoking something. But in reality, we're just sitting. 

"I can already see the school calling my mom," I groan. "I'm gonna get whooped when I get home."

"Oh, chill out," Ashton groans. "Just say you felt sick or something." 

"I just feel bad that I keep lying to her," I say. Then I realize I just said that out loud. "I...shouldn't have said that, sorry." 

"What do you mean?" he asks. 

"I shouldn't have said that. Just forget I said that." 

"You can tell me whatever, you know that right? I won't tell anyone." 

My better judgment knows I shouldn't tell him but part of the lying is about him so why not? And so I tell him everything. About how I'd never ever lied to my mom before he came along and how she would disapprove of fake dating and so I don't tell her about going over to his house  whenever I do. 

His face begins to look more and more concerned as I keep talking. When I finally stop, I can't meet his eyes and look off into the distance, toward the school where I should be right now. 

"I don't want you to lie because of me," Ashton says. It sounds like he really means it. 

"Well, I have to!" I turn my gaze back to him. 

He looks at the ground and doesn't say another word. 

"Look, Ashton, it's fine. As long as I just don't do anything suspicious too often, she won't notice. She's at work most of the time," I reason. I feel terrible just saying it. But what other choice do have? I'm not going to stop this thing with Ashton. I've already dedicated myself to do it. 

He stares at me for a concerningly long time and I eventually break the gaze because I feel myself about to begin blushing. I do that a lot around him. 

As we continue to sit there, now in silence, I want nothing more than to scoot over a couple inches and lean my head against his shoulder. 

But can I do that?

No. 

----------------------------

We eventually have to go back to class. We go in separate doors so it doesn't look suspicious. I need to grab a book from my locker, anyway. 

My third period is Multimedia, a class I'm actually glad I'm not skipping. At least today. Both Danna and Kacie are in that class. As well as Ashton, of course. This was bound to be interesting. 

I had told Ashton not to talk to me in that class because of Kacie and I wasn't really sure of the whole situation yet. 

Hopefully everything would go smoothly. 

I walk down the hallway to the multimedia class and go in. I find Kacie and Danna at a table and go over. Ashton is already here and we make eye contact across the room. I raise my eyebrows and he tilts his head to the side a bit before smiling and then looking away.

"I sent Ashton a snap but he hasn't replied yet," Kacie says as I come over. 

"Well, he's probably just not on his phone during school," I say. 

Kacie considers this for a moment. "Yeah, you're probably right. I just really, really hope he replies. You know I'm planning on asking him to prom, right, Valerie?"